logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kartoffel  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 3:14:25 AM(UTC)
Kartoffel

Germany

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I recently became aware of the possibility of 3D printing lithophanes. There are some online-tools, where you can convert a photo to a lithophane stl file.
http://3dp.rocks/lithophane/

It would be great, doing this with viacad, because sometimes, you need a special form / format, f.e. for an lamp shade.

I tried out the HeightMap to 3D function from the powerpack tools. The problem here is, that the resulting mesh has no "base".
I then tried to add manually a square base to the height map, but this also dosn't work well, because then, parts of the height map are merging with the base and information of the height map is lost.

So it would be great, when there could be a function, to add a base to the height map.

You can also use a slicer software (simplify 3D or cura) for this purpose, but the resolution of the lithophanes made with these programs is bad...

Markus

Edited by user Friday, November 10, 2017 6:34:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

murray  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:06:12 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
There are a couple of ways to do it: One is to make skirts and base for the mesh, stitch the mesh, skirts and base into a solid, which can be bent and/or twisted. Another is to convert the mesh to nurbs, extrude the nurbs face and again, the solid result can be bent or twisted. These aren't universal solutions because they depend on the picture resolution, what powerpack version etc. I'm a windows user, there are a couple of external apps that I've used to do some of this. or to do it differently: ZSurf4 is a heightfield producer that has its own limitations, like 300 x 300 resolution, picture's gotta be greyscale (easy enough, even Paint does it), and it produces an IGES nurbs surface, but good, and simple. Marcus Bole's PolyCAD, polycad.co.uk converts mesh to nurbs or nurbs surface to mesh. Both are free, Marcus requires registration for polycad.
Did you mean that the slicer software gives poor resolution, or did you mean relief, the relative scale of the picture's z axis? Once the picture's been made into a heightfield, you can exaggerate the relief with z scale, mesh or nurbs.

Edited by user Sunday, November 12, 2017 6:21:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kartoffel  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:41:59 PM(UTC)
Kartoffel

Germany

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,
one picture where in simplify3D a converted jpg and a lithophane from the online converter are together. You can see the bad resolution of the one converted by simplify.
The other picture shows the heightmap of the photo in viacad with the missing bottom... I have no idea, how to add a bottom to the mesh without to "delete" most "height information"...

Edited by user Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:47:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kartoffel attached the following image(s):
heightmap.JPG (68kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Vergleich.JPG (22kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.