logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:10:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi,

I try to use viacad as translation tool to open a *.step file and export it as an *.obj file, because I wanna open it in c4d. Maybe there are suggestions for other better interchange formats?

But the main problem is, that every exported file after obening in c4d, has a bad geometry. I was expecting a clean quads object but I get an object with many triangles.

Maybe somebody can tell me what can I do!

Thanks, Alex
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:31:46 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I try to use viacad as translation tool to open a *.step file and export it as an *.obj file, because I wanna open it in c4d. Maybe there are suggestions for other better interchange formats?

But the main problem is, that every exported file after obening in c4d, has a bad geometry. I was expecting a clean quads object but I get an object with many triangles.

Maybe somebody can tell me what can I do!

Thanks, Alex

Hello Alex
Immediately after importing the step file. Go up into the file menu and look for verify check object. So you can tell if the imported file has issues before you try to re export it as an obj

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Sunday, October 15, 2017 4:32:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Windows 11, 10
digitalphaser  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 9:11:35 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
ViaCAD knows how to export clean quad mesh from quad mesh but solid objects are exported with triangles. But you can control mesh when exporting.

1. Select solid or surface. Right mouse click "Change Object Type...". Choose "Mesh".
2. Experiment with "Mesh Parameters". With my settings, I got a good lowpoly mesh predominantly with quads.
3. Click "Cancel" and export object to OBJ.
4. Open with OBJ with another software. After a short "cleaning" you will get a good object for subdivision.

Edited by user Monday, October 16, 2017 9:53:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
mesh1.png (340kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
mesh2.png (217kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.