logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zircon  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 12:29:23 PM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Using the same example file (reattached) as in my previous report, here's an example of how unicode character not contained in the selected font is displayed. (The green arrow points at the character in question.)

The character in this sample is an ideographic space (0x3000 or 0x0030). It should be shown as a double-width space. In the program toolbar it is displayed properly. However, in the drawing proper it is an empty rectangle.

That said, the greater problem is that text input directly into the drawing is not converted to kana or kanji, but instead remains in alphabet form.
This is completely reproducible in my environment. The procedure is:

Click on blank spot on drawing
Open Inspector-change font to one that has full unicode set
draw-text-horizontal text
-switch to Japanese input (kotoeri)
-type anything.
Result: all input is typed in as an alphabet string—not converted into CIJ characters as it should be.

Once some Western text has been input, one can use the input window at the top of the screen to input Japanese text, which is then displayed normally in the drawing. However, this is an inconvenient work-around.

Edited by user Friday, May 12, 2017 8:36:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

File Attachment(s):
unicodetest.sfx (1,669kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
zircon attached the following image(s):
unicode_space.png
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
SharkCad Pro v10.0.0 (1335)
thanks 1 user thanked zircon for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 5/13/2017(UTC)
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 12:47:09 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Haven't used Japanese Fonts, but checked this list, might be
of some help.
http://www.fileformat.in...har/3000/fontsupport.htm
Larry
zircon  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 8:27:24 PM(UTC)
zircon

Japan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi, Larry

Thanks for your reply—it made me realize I didn't give sufficient background information in my original post.
OSX provides hooks to substitute characters missing in a given font. It looks like they are not implemented in Shark Cad.

Now, this is not a huge problem once one realizes what is happening. The extra step of selecting all and changing the font after importing e.g. DXF files goes smoothly once one realizes it is necessary. I've not commented on it before because I've been using such workarounds since before OS X came out and this was commonplace. That said, for several years I've encountered no new professionally developed program that can't handle missing character substitution. Much of the world uses non-alphabet characters, and if the OS has the capability to substitute characters gracefully, implementing it expands market potential.

The greater problem—one that is likely to be a deal breaker for non-Westerners looking for a new cad program—is the inability to directly type non-alphabet text within the drawing. Again, I've got used to it, but the inability to type annotations in CIJ slows work down considerably.

I've change the title of this thread to reflect this.

Edited by user Friday, May 12, 2017 8:33:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
1.7 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OSX 10.11.6(Japanese)
SharkCad Pro v10.0.0 (1335)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply