logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ned  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:50:41 AM(UTC)
Ned

Hi,

I'm running ViaCAD Pro v9, build 1109 on Win 10. I'm trying to efficiently convert an orthogonal draw view of a 3D model to a 2D DWG/DXF and don't really know the best way to go about it. I've done a Model to Sheet of a particular view and then selected all of the elements and then exported it as a DXF successfully, but if I have too many elements selected it hangs up.

Second issue: Why does my "Model to Sheet" function not have a "Precise" option for conversion? All I have is Polylines.

Thanks and best regards,

Ned Roques

jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 10:09:03 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello Ned

What is hanging up in ViaCAD does the export stop and program freezes, does it make the dxf file?
If the dxf dwg export is hanging up it is probably geometry related. Do you have or can you make a sample file and post it?
What is the final outcome of the dxf/dwg you are producing is it for a 2d drawing or are you trying to use geometry for CAD/CAM?

Is the 3d model you are using created in ViaCAD or imported? If imported you can try the Verify - Check object as you may be importing bad geometry.

After creating model to sheet you can flatten each of the draw views so you have just the 2d geometry and try exporting that.

The Precise line option uses licensed technology and is only avaliable in SharkCad LT and SharkCad PRO not in any version of ViaCAD.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Ned  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:19:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
"What is hanging up in ViaCAD?"

The Model to Sheet conversion is hanging if I have too many solid elements selected.

"Does the export stop and program freezes, does it make the dxf file?"

I can get it to make a .dxf from selected solid elements but it seems to always be a different 2D view that what I'm after.

"If the dxf dwg export is hanging up it is probably geometry related. Do you have or can you make a sample file and post it?
What is the final outcome of the dxf/dwg you are producing is it for a 2d drawing or are you trying to use geometry for CAD/CAM?"

Both for 2D drawings and CAD/CAM.

"Is the 3d model you are using created in ViaCAD or imported?"

It's a combination of several elements both imported and created natively.

"If imported you can try the Verify - Check object as you may be importing bad geometry."

I'll try that out.

"After creating model to sheet you can flatten each of the draw views so you have just the 2d geometry and try exporting that."

That's sorta what I've resorted to doing. I just didn't know if there was a more straight forward way. The problem is having to hide a lot of the background and hidden solids so that only a minimal set of elements gets converted.

"The Precise line option uses licensed technology and is only avaliable in SharkCad LT and SharkCad PRO not in any version of ViaCAD."

Ahhh...
Ned  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:32:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I want to correct something in my reply. When I export a selected solid as a .DXF I don't see anything when I open it in a different program. I'm probably not fully up to speed on what I should expect to be created when exporting a solid to a .DXF. My ultimate goal it to take an orthogonal view (top, bottom, right, etc.) and export accurate line drawings for opening in VCarve Pro CAD/CAM or to have others be able to open accurate line drawings in other CAD software.

Thanks,

Ned
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 2:31:45 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Ned

>>When I export a selected solid as a .DXF I don't see anything when I open it in a different program.

By default it will export SAT data into the DXF file supporting precise solids. Many apps cannot support the definition and ignore it. If you export as R12, which is before AutoCAD used ACIS, it will export as a Mesh. I did a video regarding sharing data with VCarve once and believe you need to use R12.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
Ned on 4/5/2017(UTC)