logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:27:25 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Morning all,

I'm looking for a little help. I'm using V10 pro, with pro power pack addon etc. I cannot get it to import .dat files for grid surface. I've used UG in the past and importing a dat file is the process of changing a .txt file to .dat when you save it. So I've done similar and the screen stays blank.

I've followed the tutorial paper as well, and can't get that working. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

Windows 7 pro, GL72 6QC MSI Gaming Series laptop 32GB RAM 2.3GHz processor 64 bit system

Edited by user Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:28:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 9:31:49 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Ok with some reinstallation to an older build things seem to be better for me. So I've managed to get the example working and another test I've done.

It got me thinking, would we some how be able to use this type of function on a points cloud? Say you had a point cloud from a surface scan, I've been putting splines in and building a surface that way. I suspect with it being a grid shape, a point cloud (which is random at the best of times) wouldn't work with this?

Cheers
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:48:19 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
You can read point clouds into the app using the .ply format. However we do not have a triangulation procedure to convert the points into facets.

You can use the point clouds to compare deviations with a surface/solid model with PowerPack Pro. I've used it to compare the Stanford bunny scanned data with converted NURB data.

MeshLab (open source/free) might be able to convert the point cloud to facets which you could then read into ViaCAD.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore