logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CNC_Kid  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 11:32:57 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
it would be very very very helpful if VC had a threading add-on option to the hole tool. lets say i want to place a UNEF 1/2-28 at a specific location, would be nice to have this as automated tool vs having to manually create thread models and use subtraction technique.

to start, a table of std/metric threadings could be developed. advanced development would perhaps allow user to select hole size and a specific pitch/cut, as ex, 5/8" hole w/ UNEF -28tpi cut (which is not a typical combo standard in UTS, etc).

the UTS is well documented, would just need to be coded in VC, etc.

UTS profile specs

Edited by user Friday, January 6, 2017 11:50:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
thanks 1 user thanked CNC_Kid for this useful post.
Art Smith on 1/6/2017(UTC)
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 12:59:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CNC_Kid Go to Quoted Post
it would be very very very helpful if VC had a threading add-on option to the hole tool. lets say i want to place a UNEF 1/2-28 at a specific location, would be nice to have this as automated tool vs having to manually create thread models and use subtraction technique.

I agree with you CNC_Kid, that would be nice to have !
Most of the times we don't need 3D detail of thread, but last month I had to do a few to get CNC machined parts in China... and that was tedious.
thefro  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 9:39:42 AM(UTC)
thefro

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I agree this would be a good tool
24c  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 11:10:35 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)

Yep, it would be very useful for modelling, and I remember asking for this years ago. I know you can create a spiral extruded shape and subtract this, but it's a little fiddly.
Always envious of the Inventor folks near me that do this in a jif.

Mike

PS ...and a metric option please. :)
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
JLM  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:36:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 24c Go to Quoted Post

Yep, it would be very useful for modelling, and I remember asking for this years ago.
PS ...and a metric option please. :)

Yes I agree !
murray  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:43:06 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
I disagree. There are lots of sites that offer 3D parts that can be used as symbols or xrefs that won't have as much detriment on file performance as thread geometry representation. You only have to produce a thread size once if you do it yourself, really. 3D printing and rapid prototyping can call for thread models, but they're more likely to be custom threads or ACME than standard machine threads. A few people might need this for very narrow interests, but building it into the program means that the investment in software development time would be subsidised by lots more people who don't.
CNC_Kid  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 5:59:26 PM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
I disagree. There are lots of sites that offer 3D parts that can be used as symbols or xrefs that won't have as much detriment on file performance as thread geometry representation. You only have to produce a thread size once if you do it yourself, really. 3D printing and rapid prototyping can call for thread models, but they're more likely to be custom threads or ACME than standard machine threads. A few people might need this for very narrow interests, but building it into the program means that the investment in software development time would be subsidised by lots more people who don't.

well, perhaps the threading in 3D doesnt have to be there, but then maybe still a threading tool that creates the proper major/minor ID, and then when part is put down to sheet the thread spec is noted on the sheet. i however would like a full 3D thread in my models.
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
L. Banasky  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:46:57 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
It would be ideal to have a choice of cosmetic or modelled helical threads
in the model. The most important issue for me is Model to Sheet.
Model to Sheet needs to use the model threads to place the correct threads
in the drawing.
The amount of work needed to make a drawing is very time consuming, and
yes, contrary to popular belief, customers still need a drawing. The
drawing is a legal document showing revision levels, changes, material
etc. and has the required signatures and initials of engineers, quality control,
etc.responsible for the products they are ordering or producing.
We need the models for CNC production, the models are nice to look, but we
still have mountains of paper drawings on the shop floor, hanging in folders
on machines, work benches, file cabinets in quality control, and also
on my desk.
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Model .jpg (73kb) downloaded 10 time(s).
Model to Sheet .jpg (164kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 4 users thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/12/2017(UTC), thefro on 1/12/2017(UTC), CNC_Kid on 1/12/2017(UTC), MaiFy on 1/12/2017(UTC)
BillB  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2017 3:26:51 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Screw threads can be written as macros and imported as symbols.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
24c  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 2:22:54 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi again,

I import models from TraceParts Online, and although they show a thread form, I don't ever recall seeing any with threads form in a downloaded STEP file.
I do have saved fastener models were I have created a thread form, using a spiral path and a triangular sectioned extrusion, but it's a faff.
If you had a quick way of generating this spiral thread form, say positive or negative, that would be a huge improvement, then I could subtract this from downloaded STEP models to create threaded components or threaded holes quicker.

Jeepers, if you can get 3D dovetailing tools for woodwork in Shark FX, it's not such a huge leap, and it's hardly a bloat on file size. For CNC work, I usually omit the threads, as some CAM software doesn't like seeing them, and it's easier to spec it during the CAM process as another operation, but for 3D printing it'd be useful.

Just my 2¢, but I'm biased ;)
Mike
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652