logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bbumgarner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:35:38 PM(UTC)
bbumgarner

A hopefully stupid question.

How in the heck do I enter an exact distance for a push/pull (or any other operation)?

If I click to start the push/pull, then grab the vector, the # in the distance field changes in the entry window at the top of the screen. However, as soon as I let go of the trackpad button to go to the field, the field disappears (usually-- sometimes it sticks around, but entering a value does nothing).

Edited by user Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:36:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jdi000  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:47:46 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bbumgarner Go to Quoted Post

How in the heck do I enter an exact distance for a push/pull (or any other operation)?

If I click to start the push/pull, then grab the vector, the # in the distance field changes in the entry window at the top of the screen. However, as soon as I let go of the trackpad button to go to the field, the field disappears (usually-- sometimes it sticks around, but entering a value does nothing).

Hello

Tab into the field and enter new distance and hit enter.

If you want to change after the geometry is created reselect the geometry and open the inspector and change the values.

Regards

Jason

Edited by user Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:49:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Windows 11, 10
bbumgarner  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:57:12 PM(UTC)
bbumgarner

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bbumgarner Go to Quoted Post

Hello

Tab into the field and enter new distance and hit enter.

If you want to change after the geometry is created reselect the geometry and open the inspector and change the values.

Regards

Jason

I must be missing something.

- select push/pull tool
- click the face I want to pull

Then what?

Tab doesn't do anything. If I pull by moving the mouse, then the value in the text field changes to track my change, but I can't edit the value in the field.

Screenshot for context.

Added a screenshot for context.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:31:05 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
What version and build are you using ?

If you click your mouse in the distance field can you enter a value? Then hit enter

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:50:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi Jason,
I'm using SharkFX build 1217 on MacOS Sierra. and as a work around, I exit the Push/Pull tool, highlight the part using Concept Explorer and edit the Value in the Inspector once I highlight the Move Face item in Concept Explorer.
bbumgarner
This dialog box interaction has played up in the past builds too. :)

Mike
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 12:17:33 PM(UTC)

Hi

if you hover over the object you want to use the push/pull tool on then select the side highlighted this opens the distance box then you can use the tab key to highlight the text, then enter your distance in the data entry window. this confused me to start with as I would assume it would open automatically with the push pull tool.

Not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour?

Hope this is of some help.

Brian
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:10:46 PM(UTC)

Using ViaCad Pro 10 build 1317.

Quote:
if you hover over the object you want to use the push/pull tool on then select the side highlighted this opens

Aha! That worked. You truly have to do *nothing* but click. Moving even a pixel causes the field to be hidden and the face to be de-selected.

Ideally, *I would think* you should be able to tab to said field at any time. During the drag or after letting go (it shouldn't deselect). Maybe even leave the field highlighted and let <return> confirm the entry.

Thank you!!

b.bum
macnavi  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2017 7:46:21 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
On my Mac with Sierra and VC 1317 I can do all that is said above that can't be done. When I pull on side of a block and release the mouse button, the size and distance of the block is displayed in the menu bar. I can then either tab to the Distance field or click on it to adjust it. Sounds like you all can't do that, so possibly a Windows issue?
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12