logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KSimmons  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 2:09:35 PM(UTC)
KSimmons

Hi there, I was trying different export files to which one would work in AC3D. So I could use the X-Plane plugin for AC3D to create an X-Plane .obj8 file to use in building scenery objects. Currently I have X-Plane 10.51 and X-Plane 11 Beta2 installed. Different programs can have their own .obj file such as X-Plane which are not suppor to be compatible with Wavefront Obj file. So I was surprised and puzzled that when I exported a test object such as a box, torus, cone as a Wavefront .obj file to a document folder (anywhere) the objected saved as an "X-Plane 3D Object". Why. See http://developer.x-plane.com/ under "Documentation. Have attached a screenshot of the folder with the wavefront .obj files.
KSimmons attached the following image(s):
Shark LT v9 Wavefront export file.png (34kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 2:33:35 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Hello

The files export out as .obj files. If you have a program associated to open these then it will display as that type of file. If you display the file extension it should be .obj I would guess that the operating system is just associating the .obj with X-Plane 3D object.

In Win 10 i have the app called 3d builder installed and it associated the .obj to that program and uses its icon image for the file.

Regards

Jason

Windows 11, 10
KSimmons  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 3:47:10 PM(UTC)
KSimmons

OK, Thanks.