logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gjames  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 10:05:48 PM(UTC)
gjames

Using ViaCad Pro V9 I export my models to STL and then open them in Cura (latest version of LulzBot edition) and the scale is off.

1 part the scale was too large on another part the scale was too small. In some cases 10 to 50 times the size in either direction.

I exported to OBJ and it works fine in Cura.

More than anything I am reporting this as a bug. Don't know where else to report it.

Latest version of Cura LulzBot (FREE) can be downloaded here if you want to test it out. https://www.lulzbot.com/cura

I am using the Windows Version. This happens on both a Windows Vista (slightly older release of Cura) and a Windows 10 (ViaCad V9 is loaded on) machine in Cura. Doesn't seem to be an OS issue at least with Cura.

Thanks.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 11:09:29 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)

What happens when you read the STL back into ViaCAD? If it reads in fine, it may be an issue with Cura.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
gjames on 5/10/2016(UTC)
gjames  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:11:06 AM(UTC)
gjames

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

What happens when you read the STL back into ViaCAD? If it reads in fine, it may be an issue with Cura.

Tim

I have no way of telling if it is Cura or not. Of course if I import it back into ViaCad it appears to be OK.

What I can say is at our Makerspace everyone that I know is using STL files. I have even used some that I have downloaded for projects and we have not had this issue.

The part I was working on the past week when I tried to print it using the STL it was a No Go.

I am going to attach the STL and hopefully the ViaCad file here so you can look at it. I tried all the settings I could with the STL Export function and it still has a weird problem.

So far using the OBJ works flawlessly and I am OK using it. However it seems many prefer using the STL format so it might be worth at least knowing why this is happening.

NOT RELATED: I just bought a copy of the 3D Printing Power Pack. I hope to get good use out of it.

Thanks.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:15:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
TEST CURA VIACAD ISSUE.zip (15kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:42:49 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I have no way of telling if it is Cura or not. Of course if I import it back into ViaCad it appears to be OK.

Round robin a neutral file is great to figure out possible sources of data translation errors.

I downloaded and installed Cura. It looks like Cura only understands mm STL files. Your .vcp file looks to be inches. The STL file format does not support a unit descriptor, so you need to manually keep track of units.

If you change your unit definition in ViaCAD to mm (Preferences : Units) and then export your STL file it seems to come in the proper size in Cura. After you export your STL, you can change it back to inches.

FYI, .obj files also do not have units but we have a drop down for unit type.

It is not uncommon for 3D print apps to support only mm so I'll add a unit drop down to STL in V10.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:45:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
gjames on 5/12/2016(UTC)
24c  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:11:40 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi Tim & jgames,

I have been using Cura with an Ultimaker+, and I've only had a glitch with 1199, when the STL file imported in inches ℅ a Windows PC at the printshop.
I used to go from SharkFX to STEP to STL when I was using this printer with the CNC guys down the road, as they preferred to look at it in their CAM software, but now I just STL it out straight into Cura on the MacBook, and then load up their SD card with the GCode.
So far I've had no more issues, but a drop down box for STL would be useful. 8)

Mike
PS Can you do the same for STEP?, as sometimes my STEP files from Shark open as inches and sometimes as mm. I used to think it was how I saved files that was causing the difference, as in "Save Selection".

Edited by user Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:17:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spellchecker "cupertino"

macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652