logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art Smith  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:32:54 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
with the Three Tangent Circle mostly working, the challenge finally is surface modeling techniques and tools to fix/finish something that's getting closer to usable. the descriptive geometry isn't hard, just tedious having to mirror all the tangent points! after playing with a number of lofting combinations I've been able to eliminate all but one of the Lofting artifacts by utilizing a patchwork quilt approach. like all of the other surface tools, the Lofting tool does not appreciate concave joined/closed curves necessitating leaving ALL of the curves in pieces (ie: leading edge; fore body; aft body; & trailing edge). the extreme(anal)focus on tangent points during construction paid dividends in the end; integration of the leading edge was actually orders of magnitude easier than expected and flawless!

what's the best approach for removing the last of the Lofting artifacts? I've tried smaller curve spacing to NO avail. does Shark FX have the needed functionality; or is the Power Pack/third party add-in required? Zebra plots are included to characterize the problem in the hope someone has encountered something similar.

the patchwork quilt approach necessitates a number of artificial interfaces that continue to show/be reported after joining. how are the quilting lines eliminated (I haven't been able to find the switch)?

Art
[email protected]
Art Smith attached the following image(s):
removal of lofting artifacts.jpg (87kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:29:52 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hello Art

>>removing the last of the Lofting artifacts?..
We would probably need to see just the curves used to create the surface along with the surface tool(Net, Skin, Cover, or Loft) and any options you used.

If you used the Loft Surface tool and referenced surfaces edges, we will also need the reference surfaces.

If your profiles have different number of curves, I've noticed that ACIS adds/subtracts faces to match which can add discontinuities.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:33:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Art Smith  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:23:26 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Tim-

thanks for the offer. after playing/experimenting with the Lofting and Guided Lofting tool most of the day, it seems like the choice comes down to magnitude and location for the ripple in combination with angular mismatch at the leading edge. the ripple is present without regard to how many or how few curves are used....

spent the evening looking for a way to change the color of the "joining" lines/seams without success. nothing done with "Inspector" would change the color of the lines... am I looking the the wrong places or isn't there a switch for joining lines??

Art
[email protected]
Art Smith  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:33:17 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Tim-

more as a lark than rational engineering, I tried the Rebuild Surface tool on one of the versions of the surface with the persistent "ripple". whatever the source of the ripple in the Loft Surface & Guided Loft Surface tools, the Rebuild Surface tool is smart enough to remove it completely! at least in the near term, the Rebuild Surface tool can be used as a crutch for whatever is going on with the lofting tools. that only leaves the switch for the color of the "joining lines/seams" to resolve..........

Art
[email protected]
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:01:10 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>am I looking the the wrong places or isn't there a switch for joining lines??

No switch for removing those lines. I'm guessing the joining lines you are seeing are face boundaries driven by the referenced surfaces. A Loft surface can have multiple faces. And I'm guessing that the number of faces from the referenced surface are not the same as the last reference surface resulting in adding or removing removing faces to the loft surface. If the face counts are the same, then it could be it does not know how to loft from one face to the next perhaps due to twisting or orientation. Just guesstimating though...

You might try another surface type such as a Net or Skin if the design inputs allow. A Net or Skin surface will create one face per curve network that is everywhere G2.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
Art Smith on 3/25/2016(UTC)