logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Craig  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:55:57 AM(UTC)
Craig

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Now there’s another genius marketing strategy, everybody is going to need a 3d printer for all their marvellous ideas, but here’s the thing.........................ideas are like honest marketing people................as rare as rocking horse waste.
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 6:49:19 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Hi Craig,
Was there a link to an article?
Craig  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 12:39:47 AM(UTC)
Craig

That was the report, think about it, the whole marketing premise was that everybody has these great ideas and everybody is going to need a 3d printer.
Most so called engineers I run into these days can’t be bothered to learn Solidworks despite spending 4 years at university with a free copy.

The last “mechanical engineer” I worked with thought a micron was 10mm and his dream was to open a car wash!

I did do a project fort a big marketing company recently to determine the quality of the 3d printers aimed at the general public.
The summary was, don’t waste your time.
Quality is garbage and who is going to spend £200-£700 plus the time to learn how to design the ideas when all they have to print is a couple of dolls for their children.

I refer you to the Big Bang Theory from some years ago.
posh.de  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 5:57:39 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
depends... the Form 2 is surely great... if you need and can afford it.
Craig  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:18:08 AM(UTC)
Craig

Defiantly, there are some really good models out there but as you point out they cost decent money.
3d printing will always be there but the market I am talking about was never there, I sat around a conference table about 2 years ago and 3d printing was going to be the next iPhone.
The marketing professionals were raving about it, every home was going to have a 3d printer, one of them came to me to ask about software and when she produced the report, Blender was listed as a fairly easy learning curve for the average person!

Buy a 3d printer, buy some design software and buy a computer to design your great idea, yeah right!!!

People are not picking up on a very obvious fact, as an engineer why would I require one? The ironic answer is at our finger tips.
macnavi  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:22:33 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Who needs an engineer or why be able to design if you can download the desired file you need and print it at home? Like you can find any music on YouTube "for free", you will be able (if not already) to get every possible (replacement) part for free. Not said that it's all legal or that the designer got paid, but there are always young kids crazy enough to design for free, to impress.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12
Craig  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:36:46 PM(UTC)
Craig

What do you mean who needs an engineer?
You are missing the whole point, engineers can’t engineer these days and you are expecting people who can barely work a pc to start fixing, designing and inventing things!!!
I asked a young so called engineer if he could change the wheel on his car, maybe he said, but he couldn’t.

My point is why would I need a 3d printer to design something when I have a 3d modelling system that is far more versatile and that can do far more a lot faster?

The only people who need 3d printers for prototype work are marketing engineers, they need something to hold in the hands whereas real engineers can hold designs in their heads an manipulate them in a 3d environment.

Shark can do everything a 3d printer can do and a whole lot more.
murray  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 12:31:51 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
The 3D printer thing had been dominated by big money rapid prototyping companies for nearly thirty years, then the upstart Reprap community came along, the patents have expired and usable CAD costs anywhere from free upwards. There are plenty of people who are interested in design, 3D printing and rapid prototyping for purposes that aren't related to traditional engineering disciplines. Dremel, owned by Robert Bosch GmBh if you're unaware of the weight of corporate commitment behind it, are producing a 3D printer that's being demo'd and sold prominently through the largest hardware chain in this country (Australia). The largest office product and stationery chain here sells two lines of 3D printer and consumables, one of them 3D Systems' Cube. At the bottom of the market, the price competition is down to below AUD400. The school that my wife's principal of teaches adolescent girls and young women how to use CAD, some of those students have household machines as well as access to the school's RP machines and 3D printers, which get good usage. I don't see what you see, Craig. People aren't using them to design, they're using them to produce their designs. I can remember when secretaries and receptionists used to have to present certification for WordPerfect or Lotus 123 to get those jobs. Times change, y'know?
Craig  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:20:16 AM(UTC)
Craig

Murray you are another one missing the point, this whole 3d printing thing was about volume for the marketing parasites, that’s how they envisioned their next pay check.
Schools and home users are not going to fund their lavish lifestyles for much longer, they are like a plague of locusts.
At the marketing company I was contracting for I watched them waste $5 million in 3 months on sandwiches and having 50 hour meetings a week.

I am a contractor and within 2 weeks I had heard this saying from at least 3 permanent staff, “hey Craig have you heard the one about us and XXX, it took them 60 years to build up their business and it took us 2 years to destroy it!"
Or how about when one of my interns was over at our head office which was a couple of miles away from the development centre I was running
“Hey Craig you should have heard what I did, a new starter said that they were interested in buying one of our machines with the staff discount, the senior sales person said don’t, they are sh*t.

The ultimate question is not being answered, why does anybody need a 3d printer to prove out a design when 3d modelling software is far more powerful?
You have to use design software to design the product in the first place and that is all you really need to prove if an idea can work or has value, you do not need to print it.

You are 100% right about one thing; times do change but not in the way you are imagining, think about it logically.
People are streaming out of these so called universities and they are as dumb as a bucket of mud, this text is an example of what I receive from so called graduates.
"hi craig, plse may i put in a works rqst (lol you must think my English is so bad and i’m English, lol, lol, lol)", she then goes on to ask me to work out the volume of a simple waste bin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for your analogy using secretaries, a secretary 20 years ago was 10 times smarter than most engineers today.
You just cannot have a politically correct system where people cannot get fired or told they are making mistakes, or a system where people make billions from sad losers spending hours online with non-existent friends.
A classic example is that American Taco Bell marketing idiot who assaulted the Uber driver and who is now suing him for filming the assault!

You like most people are giving humans too much credit, most haven’t got a clue and would not know a decent idea if it slapped them upside the head.
Baton down the hatches, 2016 is the year it all goes to hell, the lies, the fraud, the incompetence...........it’s all coming to an end.
m.marino  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 10:50:42 AM(UTC)
m.marino

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I work in CNC among other things and here are some point to try to clarify what Craig is getting at. Most "3D" printers are in reality 2 to 2.5D deposition printers. Filament has gotten power down to the point where it competes with a slightly larger work area CNC machine and cost is cheaper. The issue is materials usable and time. 3D printing is still very limited in materials usable (unless you are willing to spend huge money and even more time) and is much more time intensive than a CNC machine of many different types. CNC can give you repeatable resolutions in microns, depending on set up and not at huge expense to get there. 3D printing is useful for a few very defined uses and outside of that it is a gimmick. I don't mean that as an insult but as an honest evaluation. We are looking at buying a delta 3D due to client interest and demand NOT because it will suddenly improve what we can produce (though it does increase certain options).

For 10yrs they have been pushing 3d printing as the next wave of manufacturing and it just has not happened. It won't until the cost of material and production come into line with other established forms of industry. It is making leaps and bounds but it still has a long ways to go. having said all this negative I will say there are target markets for 3D printing and products that are 3D printed. Most require addition machining to get the finished you need and require using materials a bit better than PLA or ABS for the final product. Dead? No, just not producing the way the marketing and tech geeks wanted it to.

You don' want to know the amount of "futurologists" that got their fingers burned on this one and the amount of free drinks I have gotten when comparing the two.

Michael
SharkCAD Pro v10 w/ PowerPack Pro
Lenovo D20 2x E5620 w/ 64GB RAM, Nvidia 1060
MM0MSU

Craig  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 11:10:01 AM(UTC)
Craig

The question that I would like answered is why people are so slow on picking up on my point, even when I was running laboratories at universities the young students had no concept of the power of 3d modelling systems.

They were using Solidworks and bringing me half finished designs to check before they were sent to the machine shop.
When I told them to continue with the modelling they got very frustrated and wanted to start the machining process before the design was complete at the modelling stage.

My main question is..........................why would I need a 3d printer to prove out an idea when I have a powerful piece of software that can do far more than any printer can?
Remember that you still have to design the component in the software before you print it, so what’s the point in printing it?

I am amazed at how slow the manufacturing and development world has been to pick up on the power of computer modelling, even the younger generations do not seem to understand it.
With software I can develop the component, make real time adjustments and see it working on a screen, I cannot do that with printing.
Sure I can print a part but if I need to adjust something I have to print another one whereas with software my changes are instant.

Yes industrial 3d printing is a very powerful tool but software is much more applicable to the home designer.