logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gensmenger  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:27:32 AM(UTC)
gensmenger

In a class I'm attending, we had homework to design a simple 4 AA battery enclosure with a USB connector. I used ViaCAD Pro 9. However, when I export to STL, I get an error message "No Mesh Objects Displayed".

What does this mean? Does this mean I can not use the "regular" blue colored solid 3D object tools to create an object, but must rather use the green colored mesh tools?

Thanks. I'm totally new at 3D printing and exporting STL files from ViaCAD Pro 9.

Any direction to tutorials, or info in this forum, for doing this would be helpful.
rokoko  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:37:43 AM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
hi,

here you can find a short tutorial how to create an stl file:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/viacad

Edited by user Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:38:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
thanks 1 user thanked rokoko for this useful post.
gensmenger on 6/24/2015(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 1:13:51 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>> However, when I export to STL, I get an error message "No Mesh Objects Displayed".

I think some of the earlier ViaCAD versions did not recognize group solids exporting to STL. Is it possible your model is a group?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
gensmenger on 6/25/2015(UTC)
gensmenger  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:15:57 AM(UTC)
gensmenger

Yes it was grouped.

So I followed the advice and did Shapeway's tutorial. URL - http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/viacad

I can get all the way to exporting STL and then saving. However, when I get to setting the parameters, I see something different from Shapeway's example.

Their example shows facets and triangles. My cube does not.

Attached are screenshots of Shapeway's cube and my cube.

Why do I not see facets and triangles?

I reset my preferences to Factory Default, but that did not make a difference. Is there a preference I'm missing?
gensmenger attached the following image(s):
300_increase_minimum_edge_length_to_break_up_skinny_facets.png (186kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
my-cube.jpg (81kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
gensmenger  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 8:21:15 AM(UTC)
gensmenger

I just answered my own question.

I turned off TRANSPARENCY and now I can see the facets and triangles.
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 4:02:57 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
FYI, I updated the code recently to export groups to STL without having to ungroup.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
macnavi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:30:44 PM(UTC)
macnavi

Netherlands

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The article on Shapeways is a bit outdated. The main thing is that I do not change the Edge length. When you leave it on 0, ViaCad does automatically already a good setting. Normally I do (from the top) 0, 7- 15 (depending on the quality of the round edges), 0, 7. In the example, the edge length is 0.3, which creates so much more triangles, which is unnecessary. With complex models, they will become too big to upload and take forever to export.

That reminds me, I have quite complex models and has taken 24 minutes to export a model to STL on my MacBook Air. You always made a mistake in the design, so you can imagine that is quite frustrating. What I do now is I start my creative projects with layers for every part I'm working on. Fx with a car I put the engine on a layer, the wheels on another layer etc. Then I create layers with the same titles, but now for meshes. To distinguish them, I write them in capitals. When one part is finished, I unify the solids and set the mesh layer for that part as work layer. Then right click on the part. Then choose Change Object Type..., choose Mesh and untick Delete originals. You can now change the settings for the triangles. After clicking OK, it will have duplicated the part on the mesh layer, creating a mesh copy of it. If you later have to make adjustments, you only have to delete the complete mesh of the part and redo only the part. Calculation is quick then and exporting only takes a second, as no calculation needs to be done anymore.

The good thing of working this way is that you can define the roundness (Normal deviation) of each part, so small tubes will have different settings than large boilers. It saves incredibly on the amount of triangles and file size, important when uploading to Shapeways and get the file accepted. You have now more control over the quality of each parts for printing, instead of throwing one setting on the whole thing.

Teach yourself to work this way and you'll save yourself a lot of problems and time in the future.

This is how my layers look like:

> Train layer (folder)
- Frame (subfolder)
- Wheels (subfolder)
> TRAIN LAYER (folder with meshes)
- FRAME (subfolder with meshes)
- WHEELS (subfolder with meshes)

Hope this helps.
My model steam trams at Tramfabriek.nl

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.12.5 - VC Pro v12