logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paragon1  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 2:28:48 PM(UTC)
Paragon1

Good afternoon everyone

Im fairly new to the CAD scene and have developed a product that needs to be transferred to IGES format for my manufacturer to open in SolidWorks. I skimmed the search but there was a lot of technical jargon that was frankly over my head. Just looking for the simple step-by-step to complete this.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
murray  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 3:44:40 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
VC/Shark has an "export" item in the file menu which opens a dialogue box offering you choice of file formats, IGES amongst them. There's also the option to export "selection only" if you don't want everything in the active file to be included in the exported file, select the objects you want to share before you invoke export if you choose this. IGES also has a couple of other options regarding 2D/3D trimming curves, you might have to experiment and consult your manufacturer to find which choices work best with your file and SW. I haven't needed to vary the default choices, you might.
posh.de  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:06:51 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Paragon1 Go to Quoted Post
...to open in SolidWorks. ..

for SWX do prefer the Acis SAT (VC uses the Acis kernel) or the STEP format, try to avoid the (old) IGES format which can save surfaces in different 'flavours' and consequently may lead to interpretation glitches with the importing application.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:08:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified