logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaveMechanic  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 9:21:05 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello everyone,

[This is my first topic post. I initially could not post to the group as I could not get the "POST" button
to work (along with several other buttons). Obviously, I did get things working. If you are using IE11
and having problems with buttons, see my post in the "Punch Lounge" under "Flaky Forum" for a
possible solution that worked for me.]

I am new to the group. I saw a boxed version of VIACAD 2D/3D V9 in a local store, and the low price
drove me to make a purchase just to see what VIACAD 2D/3D can do in 3D. I must say that I am
amazed at it's capabilities for the low price. I have been doing 3D modeling for some time now using
a variety of 3D programs. Since I retired from my full time job (involving sub-atomic particle physics,
hence the username "WaveMechanic"), I now have much more time for my 3D modeling interests.

I have been monitoring the group for a little while and it appears that there are many highly skilled
people here. I have no specific questions at this time...just a few comments:

1) I really like VIACAD 2D/3D V9.
2) Since VIACAD 2D/3D V9 does not include photorealistic rendering at this time, I am importing my
models to Blender for photorealistic rendering. I may upgrade to PRO soon though, for the photorealistic
rendering option.
3) Blender has been my primary 3D modeling program for many years. However, I find that the parametric
approach in VIACAD, along with the wonderful snapping options that Tim has developed,
helps me to prototype very quickly in VIACAD.
4) If anyone is interested in the type of 3D models I create, or would be interested in my first model
made with VIACAD 2D/3D V9, I have a web-page you can scroll down on to see it (it's a UV Laser).

http://users.cloudnet.co...ro/Non-Astro/EntCent.htm

5) I could not find any specific rules for the group, and some groups do not allow "self-promotion" by
posting personal web-page URL's etc. If this is not allowed here, someone (Tim?) please let me
know.
6) Only (constructive) criticisms so-far are:
a) When I try to render a 2D printable model from 3D, my VIACAD locks-up for all but the simplest
models. Not a big deal for me at this point.
b) It would be nice to have quick and consistent parametric access to scaling, location, rotation etc.
parameters for all objects. For now, some access is available by grouping objects (even just one) and
using the Inspector.

So this got kind of long already. I'll just say that I am very glad I picked-up VIACAD and I am looking
forward to lots of modeling with it. I really like it and think that Tim has created a wonderful piece of
software.

Happy 3D Modeling!

Tim (Not to be confused with Tim Olson).
Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M