logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rolandw  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:04:46 AM(UTC)
rolandw

United Kingdom

I have to wrap a surface around a mould. A simple way to describe this is to take a sheet of paper and put it flat on the table in front of you. Draw a line from the bottom left corner to point on the top edge an inch in from the top left corner. Trim off that triangle. Do the same on the right hand side so that you end up with a trapezoidal piece of paper with the bottom edge longer than the top. Now find a cylinder whose diameter is about a quarter of the width of the paper and put it at 45degrees across the bottom left corner so that it crosses the left hand edge about half way up. Now wrap the bottom left hand corner around that cylinder. Do the same to the right hand corner.

You effectively end up with a piece of paper with the two bottom corners curled upwards and inwards.

I would have thought that this would be easy to achieve but clearly I'm being very dim and can't work out how to do it. Any pointers?

TIA

OK, So we've had plenty of viewings but not answer yet so I've attached a file containing my sheet (the green shape) and the mould (the blue). You can see that the sheet extends past the mould - the bottom corners of the shape should actually wrap around to the other side of the mould but the project curve surface tool just doesn't like it one bit and actually has the surface running on both sides of the mould as a result.

Screen shot of demo sheet and mold

All this is done in SharkFX 8 btw.

Edited by user Monday, March 9, 2015 7:31:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added a demo file.

File Attachment(s):
Test project.sfx (81kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
murray  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 9:33:30 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Draw your sheet and explore the bend tool.
rolandw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:52:02 AM(UTC)
rolandw

United Kingdom

So it turned out to be easier than I thought. The problem was due to the bend lines being on the outside of the bend and not the inside and due to the direction that I selected the bend lines. So yes, as Murray said, exploring the bend tool was the way to go.

To save you some time, if you have the same issues, check out this little video:

http://youtu.be/wWO4nFGqqNM