logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marton  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 3:45:52 PM(UTC)
marton

Man
Norway

Hello

I have a sweep question.

I have a curved surface on a solid like the picture. I draw a curved line in 2D over the surface (X/Y) and I then want to project it to the surface along Z to make it a 3D curve.
Then I want to rail-sweep a profile along it and the profile must be perpendicular to the curved surface at all time along the sweep.

Is this possible?

I have managed to project a curve onto surface (Red line on picture), but the the curve is broken by intersecting curves already on curve. I do not know if this is a problem or if I just need to "re-sweep" along all of them.

I also am unsure how to draw the profile (green on the picture), in which plane? and tell Viacad how to project it perpendicular to the surface.

(I will join/union the profile to the solid when complete)

Any Ideas?

Project challenge

Here is a picture from real life showing what I am trying to model:

bilgekeel

/Marton
/MartOn
(Mac OSX 10.10.x, ViaCAD Pro 9.0.0, Ultimaker 2 3D Printer)
Tem  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:27:37 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Maybe:

1. offset surfaces to a distance that is equal to the height of the sweep profile.
2. extend the curve that defines the extrude path you desire so that the ends of the curve are outside of the surfaces you just offset.
3. project curve onto offset surfaces, or extrude the curve so that its extrusion depth is passed the offset surfaces and then create an intersection curve.

This technique could provide the sweep path you desire. My only concern is that I am seeing several surfaces, so they might need to be joined before projecting a curve.
The resulting curves might need to be joined into one curve.

Tem
marton  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:07:41 AM(UTC)
marton

Man
Norway

The surfaces are joined. The hull is a solid.

I am quite new to ViaCad and not sure which tools to use. A bit more detail would be nice.
/MartOn
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:28:38 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>> and tell Viacad how to project it perpendicular to the surface.

Try the Project Curve Surface tool. For the prompt "Select two points for the projection vector" select the same point twice. If the app sees an undefined projection direction, it uses a minimum distance projection.

I should add a drop down for min distance projection.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
marton  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:40:05 AM(UTC)
marton

Man
Norway

Hello Tim
I was able to get this to work. I have the projected curve on the surface.
My challenge now is how do I create a workplane for drawing the profile. If I understand correctly I need a plane in the beginning of the curve and also "Tangent" to the surface exactly where the curve start?
Then draw the profile and use the One Rail Sweep Solid or One way Sweep surface is probably better?

/MartOn
Tem  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:09:35 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
To create a workplane that references objects, navigate from the workplane menu down to SELECT OBJECTS in the english version, sorry my Norwegian is terrible ;-)
From there select the features that will define your workplane. I think, when SET ORIGIN is used you select the end point of a curve/line and then on your keyboard press the C key to cycle through orientation options for the new workplane. I'm thinking that you might might need to create additional features to help construct a reference armature to create what you intend. So, additional workplaces and curves. Maybe, some other members have a better understanding of your intent? I find that using pen on paper can assist me to better understand what I need to create before being lost on the computer. Remember, the computer is only a complicated tool to produce your designs, not a designer. ;-)
Jony Ive, Apple Inc., extract from an inspirational poster on his wall, "The Computer is a Lite-Brite for bad F#*king ideas."
marton  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:50:55 PM(UTC)
marton

Man
Norway

Hello

Thanks for tips and help.

I managed to get it :)
Quite happy now :D
Sweeping

It is probably not 100%, but close enough.
I manage to create 2 profiles on the hull today.

Here is a summary of what I did:

1. Draw the line from "Side view" along where I wanted it (used spline to get curvature also in that direction)
2. projected the curve to hull
3. Using the workplane tips from Tem I managed to make me a workplane at the end of the curve on the hull.
4. Using lines I just drew a profile (I can now change this later if I want more detail).
5. Did a One Rail sweep solid. It asked for the profile, curve and also the surface. I was not sure it would work, but it did.
I chose the hull as the surface. Both the profile and the curve was joined. Not sure if that mattered.

The result you can see above.
Now I will mirror it to the opposite side and use Add Solid to make it part of the Hull.

Thanks again.
Starting to like ViaCAD Pro. I miss a few features I see is available in PowerPack that really would be nice to have when modelling hulls and converting Meshes to Nurbs.
I have the rest of the boat as Meshes and it would be great to be able to transform the objects to Nurbs or Solids instead of mixing meshes.

My goal is to print it eventually on my Ultimaker 2. Approx size will be 54cm long.

/MartOn