logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ALBANO  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 5, 2015 9:54:14 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
As I mentioned, I´m further exploring the mesh functions in SFX9.

I have a few Questions for the Developers.

1) Will the mesh operations (Power pack) be stuck in the drop down menu or will they get their own tool window? (Usability, intuitivity and GUI-would benefit from that)

I imported a faces representation from an aircraft design software and was able to combine the facets into one mesh. Thats really nice! But after setting up symmetry I noticed that it won´t work on this mesh??!

2) is Grippers mesh symmetry only for fresh mesh primitives?

I find the mesh symmetry setup not very intuitive.

3) Was it possible to set it up like the clip plane? (It has some analogy in dividing the file in two sides..)

I have also evaluated the crease function but discovered it not to bee too stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won´t. I count this as Work in progress :-)

4) But to really be usable the crease function should be visible already in mesh mode. Will that happen?

Besides the geometry showing the crease, the control mesh could be colored to show creased edges.
Clicking on them would show their weight (editable) in the inspector window...

Thanks!

ALBAN
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 4:10:19 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>>Will the mesh operations (Power pack) be stuck in the drop down menu or will they get their own tool window? (Usability, intuitivity and GUI-would benefit from that)

I'm going through that process now, starting with tool icons for the Advanced Selection tools. Next will be putting the 3D printing tools into a tool palette.

>>>I imported a faces representation from an aircraft design software and was able to combine the facets into one mesh. Thats really nice! But after setting up symmetry I noticed that it won´t work on this mesh??!

It should. To identify a symmetry vertex, it only looks at the position relative the the symmetry plane.

>>2) is Grippers mesh symmetry only for fresh mesh primitives?

No, should work with any mesh. But the mesh needs to find a symmetric vertex within tolerance.

>>I have also evaluated the crease function but discovered it not to bee too stable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won´t. I count this as Work in progress :-)

Yes, far from ready for release. I was testing the SDK to make sure it supported creasing.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 9, 2015 5:08:34 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Good sound Tim!
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
ALBANO  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 9:18:34 AM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>>>
>>2) is Grippers mesh symmetry only for fresh mesh primitives?

No, should work with any mesh. But the mesh needs to find a symmetric vertex within tolerance.

Was it possible to adjust that tolerance? Or make the tolerance half of the smallest distance between vetices?

ALBAN
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 12:25:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Hi Alban
Yes possibly, I'll have to look into further. Tolerances are such a pain, especially if the goal is to use the data with ACIS.
TIm
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore