logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:18:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I was working on a design last night and today. I have auto save set to save after every 20 commands or 5 minutes. I use DropBox to store my designs in as I work from two locations.
I could see the flash of the save dialog every-so-often, so felt everything was fine.
I had around 6 hours into the design when ViaCad hung with persistent beach ball. (OSX)
I had to kill the program to start it again.
To my surprise, my design was not saved!!! I had lost 6 hours of work!!
It appears that ViaCad holds the design file "Open"?? and in the event of a crash, it does not get closed properly.
I'm not sure if DropBox sees the invalid file and re-writes it, or..... ??
I opened a finder window to the file and see that while it's open in Viacad, there is a red "X" on the sync icon. I guess DropBox won't sink and open file as Viacad keeps it.
What really bugs me is that I had autosave set to 1 temp autosave files. I cannot find that temp anywhere!!

I'm not a happy camper.
thanks 2 users thanked Guest for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 7/8/2015(UTC), ArtRedGreen on 6/30/2017(UTC)
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:57:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
hi,
did you search in /Users/<accountname>/Library/Application Support/com.encore.viacadprov9/BackUp

i read this in the viacad tips-book http://www.masterviacad....acadtips/viacadtips.html
martinwh99  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2014 6:34:13 AM(UTC)
martinwh99

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi

I also had problems with working in the Clouds. I lost a lot of work. I stopped with working directly in the clouds. I copy the locally work and copy it back that works.
Martin Krueger

ViaCAD ProV9, Cut2D, Cut3D
_myMill self made CNC milling-machine
thanks 2 users thanked martinwh99 for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 7/8/2015(UTC), ArtRedGreen on 6/30/2017(UTC)
gruenix  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 12:13:17 PM(UTC)
gruenix

Originally Posted by: Guest Go to Quoted Post
hi,
did you search in /Users/<accountname>/Library/Application Support/com.encore.viacadprov9/BackUp

that's where my autosave backups are too... though it would probably be a good idea to allow the user to set that autosave location, or do it in a location that isn't normally hidden (since 10.8 or 10.8 the user/library folder is normally hidden from the "stupid user" .

Jo

ViaCAD Pro beta (PowerPack) build 1145 (ViaCAD Pro 9 build 1109) - MacBookPro 17" 10.9.5 - Thunderbolt display
ArtRedGreen  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:20:34 AM(UTC)
ArtRedGreen

Originally Posted by: martinwh99 Go to Quoted Post
hi

I also had problems with working in the Clouds. I lost a lot of work. I stopped with working directly in the clouds. I copy the locally work and copy it back that works.

THANKs!!!
I just made a folder at root without sync or cloud....

Seems to work now. Now I will stop using the cloud too for viacad.

Greetings
ArtRedGreen  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:24:56 AM(UTC)
ArtRedGreen

Originally Posted by: gruenix Go to Quoted Post
hi,

that's where my autosave backups are too... though it would probably be a good idea to allow the user to set that autosave location, or do it in a location that isn't normally hidden (since 10.8 or 10.8 the user/library folder is normally hidden from the "stupid user" .

Jo

Thanks. I looked at this backup location but I don't have the backup option at my preferences.. The workaround for me at that moment, do NOT use the cloud with viacad
ArtRedGreen  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 4:27:55 AM(UTC)
ArtRedGreen

I was working on a design last night and today. I have auto save set to save after every 20 commands or 5 minutes. I use DropBox to store my designs in as I work from two locations.
I could see the flash of the save dialog every-so-often, so felt everything was fine.
I had around 6 hours into the design when ViaCad hung with persistent beach ball. (OSX)
I had to kill the program to start it again.
To my surprise, my design was not saved!!! I had lost 6 hours of work!!
It appears that ViaCad holds the design file "Open"?? and in the event of a crash, it does not get closed properly.
I'm not sure if DropBox sees the invalid file and re-writes it, or..... ??
I opened a finder window to the file and see that while it's open in Viacad, there is a red "X" on the sync icon. I guess DropBox won't sink and open file as Viacad keeps it.
What really bugs me is that I had autosave set to 1 temp autosave files. I cannot find that temp anywhere!!

I'm not a happy camper.

SAME with me... I can't believe the cloud and new OS make file access bad. I update everything and I'm frustrated too. Now my workaround, back to stoneage and don't use the cloud.
martinwh99  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 7:08:19 AM(UTC)
martinwh99

Man
Switzerland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Since longer time I'm using Google Drive. In general just for backup, but sometime working direct with the files from Drive. If you dont make too many save it seems to work. I think the problem is the latency to store the data in the cloud. If you do a lot of saves (autosave?) each time it is uploaded to the cloud. This might cause the problem.

So today in drive i have my original files. If i do small work i open drive files directly otherwise i copy them to my local disk and back to the cloud.
Martin Krueger

ViaCAD ProV9, Cut2D, Cut3D
_myMill self made CNC milling-machine
posh.de  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:23:48 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ArtRedGreen Go to Quoted Post
... do NOT use the cloud with viacad

in general, do not work directly in the cloud with every data important to you...
BillB  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:17:20 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gruenix Go to Quoted Post
hi,

Jo

The back up folder is accessible from inside ViaCad. File -> Open Backup... will take you there.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6