logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rockyroad_us  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 7:22:06 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Team Olson,

For the past years I've bee designing using sharkfx and one of the things that I would like to see change is the join command curve. I mainly work with interpolate splines to draw organic shapes especially with the net surface command. The thing is that when joining two interpolate splines sometimes it just switches the lines to a control point spline which is good for some but I rather prefer that it maintains the same type of interpolate spline for better flow.

I do understand that the net surface command has a tolerance but sometimes that command gives errors due to tolerance as the beginning curves change a bit when joined. I do see that alternatively when joining curves, it maintains the same type of interpolates splines especially when the two are continuous, but when joined it gives many many points. I do see that joining them is nice but one designing with to many points on a curve makes it cumbersome and sometimes I happen to delete many of them which do not change the curvature much. The slope must just be minuscule but hey you don't need to worry about that until you finalize the design, if at all.

If I had it my way, interpolate splines, straight lines, and primitive 2D shapes, will be the only curves available. It confuses the hell when things are of different curve types specially when designing organic shapes and having better control for moving point to change the shape of the curves.

If others have better suggestions, please add to my suggestions.

Cheers,

Ernesto
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
Claus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:17:40 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I agree that there are several operations that will add a million points to your curve and make them literally uneditable. I would like a command similar to Adobe Illustrators "simplify curve" which has a slider to reduce points and, if acceptable, accuracy too.

Claus