logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill B.  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 10:25:02 PM(UTC)
Bill B.

I have imported a simple three view drawing in DXF. No problem. I have selected the front view,copied,and pasted into new file selected as FRONT. The drawing appears as a single line and only appeared as the front view if reselected as TOP.

How do I get the selected DXF front, side, and top views into the 3-D FRONT, SIDE, and TOP boxes to continue with a 3-D wireframe??

Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:13:02 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hi Bill

It sounds like the DXF file had all the views flattened and projected into the xy plane. If so, you will need to rotate the data associated with the front view.

Regards

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 11:54:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Tim,

the original 3 view line drawing was drawn in another 2-D Cad program, saved as a DXF and exported into Punch Cad 3-D. When I select the front view (or any view) what is the proper procedure for the installation into the 3-D boxes or selections?? I need more information than "rotate the data" Right now I am doing trial and error until something works. I can't find anything in the PDF's.

Thanks for your help I am trying to learn...

Bill B.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:12:17 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)

Hi Bill

Are you trying to build a 3d model from the 2d views?

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2014 12:38:46 PM(UTC)

Hey Jason,

Yes, by saving each view into it's correct place in the 3-D layout. I.E. front view saved as FRONT, Etc. It does save, but when FRONT is selected only a single horizontal line appears. If TOP is selected the complete front view appears. I am trying to figure out how to save the front view into the FRONT selection, etc., etc.

Thanks for your interest....

Bill B.
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:18:44 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Hi Bill

ViaCAD doesn't constrain you to working in set views. So in your case I suggest building a 3d bounding box the size of the 2d part views you have. Create a box first. Import the 2d views into the drawing.

I would do the next in a rotated 3d view - rotate the view till you can access all the views and the 3d block,
Select each view separately and create a group from each in the edit menu is the group command. Create new layers for each view in concept explorer, and put each view on there layer by selecting group and open inspector and select layer in the drop down.
Now select each grouped view and use translate tool to move to the 3d block. The front can be moved with out rotation. The other views you will have to select and use the rotate tool. The rotate tool options should be 2 point rotate and then select the axis to rotate about then click a point on the 2d view. Then use the translate tool to move the views to the 3d box at the ref point you have to align the 3 views. From here you can move the views to adjust as needed.

if you imported to xy then the y view would be rotated about the x-axis by -90deg and the rt side view would be rotated about the y axis -90 deg

I attached a sample file

Regards
Jason

Edited by user Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:22:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
2dviews.zip (20kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
2dviews.PNG (10kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:57:10 AM(UTC)

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your detailed description. It will take me a while to work it out, but I will advise the outcome. I really need to learn to do this.

Bill B.
jdi000  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 10:50:55 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Hi Bill

Just post questions as they come up

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10