logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShawnDriscoll  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2009 1:23:55 PM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

Originally Posted by: jfc1068 Go to Quoted Post
Unless here is something that I am missing I would have to guess I am not using the pro version.

At the top of your program it should say "Pro" and "vcp" in the program title bar if you have the Pro version. Otherwise, it says vc2 or vc3.
jol  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:17:39 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes, that's silly !

It should say it at the top of the toolbar
ttrw  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:39:26 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShawnDriscoll Go to Quoted Post
I was reading the manual. The book is actually written quite well. And found this:

Displayed as Printed - Pen weights are displayed to the screen with the same weight you would get if you printed. If you measured the distance of the line weight with the Verify tool, it would measure the weight in model space coordinates. Zooming on pen weights in this mode can fill the screen with thick lines.

I'm on Chapter 10 now. It's a page-turner and is not putting me to sleep yet. I'm curious how it ends.

Shawn, I presume that you live inside the USA? It seems that us Brits don't get a printed manual with our copies of VC. Punch say they don't have the means of doing it, and Cadsoft just suggest that I use someone like LuLu, which I tried doing, but then found out that making a one-off would cost about as much as a licence for the software. I really hate reading manuals as pdf's on a screen front. I like to curl up on the sofa, lie in bed, or even on the loo with a good manual to read and thumb through- and now there is evidence proving that information is taken in far more effectively from books.

Right rant over.

Yes it's true, I moan a lot- but can you blame me?? :rolleyes:
ShawnDriscoll  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:36:43 AM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

For emergencies, I have a second monitor plugged into my desktop so I can leave PDF's displayed on it while I'm knee deep in NURBSvana on my primary monitor. Of course, I only have 831. So I haven't turely experienced total NURBSville though.
Steve.M  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:35:24 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Yes it's true, I moan a lot- but can you blame me?? :rolleyes:
It appears the more you learn VC, the more you moan, is there a link there? :eek: :rolleyes: :D
ZeroLengthCurve  
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:03:28 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Shawn,

I'm curious. You're still on build 831? Any reason for not going to 838?
ttrw  
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:40:12 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
It appears the more you learn VC, the more you moan, is there a link there? :eek:

LOL!

Actually I like VC a lot. It's just so deep, and design is not my only forte, that I often forget how to do simple tasks. It is this which makes me frustrated. Design software shouldn't be frustrating, it should be transparent and simple to use. I'm quite enjoying Sketchup too at the moment, but miss many aspects that are here in ViaCAD.

I can't win. :eek::rolleyes:
ShawnDriscoll  
#28 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:57:15 PM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
Shawn,

I'm curious. You're still on build 831? Any reason for not going to 838?

Simple reason. Punch Software doesn't provide a downloads page on their site for ViaCAD Pro 6 users to download patches from.
jfc1068  
#29 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 12:28:58 PM(UTC)
jfc1068

Originally Posted by: ShawnDriscoll Go to Quoted Post
Simple reason. Punch Software doesn't provide a downloads page on their site for ViaCAD Pro 6 users to download patches from.

Exactly. And to make matters worse, Build 768 is all that is available on the store shelf. So when Tim shows a screen on how to do something, those of us who are not beta testers get screwed.
ttrw  
#30 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 1:06:50 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I think the beta testing programme is available to everyone. I really hope that when v6 is released, it is released as a non-beta.
ShawnDriscoll  
#31 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 1:15:19 PM(UTC)
ShawnDriscoll

I've seen ViaCAD Pro 6 in the stores in the US. That's how I first heard about it.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#32 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 2:20:45 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

I hope there are some pleasant surprises, such as:

-- widenable Object Info pallet
-- multi-letter/keystroke shortcuts...
-- memory of last worked-on files even after restarting from crash
-- draggable/droppable layers or groups of layers to any layer or branch/tree
-- simple script to handle repetitive/mundane line/surface cutting/trimming/splitting/breaking... (as in "By example, do action 'x' to part 'y', under 'these' conditions" to avoid trouble areas and then flag (trouble) items skipped in the name of expedient processing)
--- others i cannot yet recall
ZeroLengthCurve  
#33 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 3:36:04 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Nahh.. To be fair to Tim, all you gotta do is email him privately and ask for the latest patch. I, too, was confused at first. I am not sure exactly why other than maybe this helps keep a pulse actual interest. I suppose interest could be tracked electronically, tho.

So far, i think the current patch is fairly stable for me except when i start to thicken or create surfaces between some really long, but self-intersecting and funky lines (aka curves) because i don't have the automated fairing tools in the pro version of Delftship.

(Aside: I suppose i could use the tools in VCP to smoothen out lines before building surfaces, but partly i've been lazy, and partly i'm thinking the funky lines will serve as a sort of "fingerprint" for my works for copyright reasons since, even if someone manually reproduced my hull by hand, they won't likely reproduce it node-by-node and be able to claim original, simultaneous creation.)