logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
willc2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:41:56 PM(UTC)
willc2

I'm a 3D user who's new to viaCAD. This program is great and I want everybody to know about it.

I've always wanted a way to output my models, but looking on the web, the service bureaus I found seemed geared only to businesses. They want you to fill out a long form just to have some salesman call you. Or they have a giant minimum order. They also make you jump thru hoops to get a price quote.

Then I found a site called Shapeways.com. It's up in The Netherlands ([COLOR="Gray"]not Norway as I first thought[/COLOR] :o) and they offer a 10-working day turnaround, even to the US. Print cost is based directly on your model volume and their material cost. Minimum order $25, shipping included.

Since viaCAD supports shelling, you can seriously reduce the model volume and thus the cost before uploading. I did a few test models, uploaded them then got my items within 2 weeks and they look great.

I searched their forums for info on viaCAD but nobody there seemed to be using it. After I mentioned it, one of the moderators encouraged me to write a tutorial featuring viaCAD.

[URL="http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/viacad"]Here is the tutorial
[/URL]
It's shows how to make a simple object, hollow it out and export it to STL format, which Shapeways accepts.

[URL="http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=495&start=0&S=dbc2254fabead56200f34d7741edd9bb"]Here is a viaCAD model I had output
[/URL]

[URL="http://www.shapeways.com/"]The Shapeways home page
[/URL]

I have no relation to them except as a satisfied customer.
jol  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:46:47 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Cool stuff Will !
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:28:03 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Nice job!!! :cool: Will Great way to spread the word about ViaCAD!:)
Windows 11, 10
billbedford  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:55:33 AM(UTC)
billbedford

Originally Posted by: willc2 Go to Quoted Post
Then I found a site called Shapeways.com. It's up in Norway and they offer a 10-working day turnaround, even to the US. Print cost is based directly on your model volume and their material cost. Minimum order $25, shipping included.

I can't see any thing on their site to tell me what sort of machines they are using. With out that info I cannot decide whether they are worth approaching to print what I am drawing.
willc2  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:19:48 AM(UTC)
willc2

Just ask. The moderators are pretty responsive.
Birger  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:55:23 AM(UTC)
Birger

Man
Norway

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Just a minor not so important point, but beeing a native norwegian I did not know about this company. Having a quick look at their website reveals the personell having names of typical "dutch" type and company adress confirms that. So I think we should conclude it is in the Netherlands rather than Norway.
willc2  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 9:05:20 PM(UTC)
willc2

A mental slip made me list their location as Norway. They are, in fact, from Eindhoven, The Netherlands.

Det er en meg feil.
robertbrichter  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:15:14 AM(UTC)
robertbrichter

Does anyone know a 3-D printing site that is certified non-toxic for children's mouths or a gadget for a fish tank (salty water)? Shapeways says they are not yet certified non-toxic.