logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:24:03 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

I'm struggling with this one, so here is a request for help.
All I want to do is extrude some text and apply a 45 deg bevel/chamfer to the upper edges so that they achieve an apex along the centre of each letter. Just like number/letter stamps, or the roof of a house.
I've tried all the ways I can think of, but can't seem to crack this one. Does anyone have a quick and reliable way of doing this?
Thanks in advance, for any replies.

Martin.
blowlamp  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:39:45 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

If we could have a tool that somehow acts like a milling or router cutter, whereby a form tool progresses around a profile and cuts the solid away as it goes, we should be able to produce forms that were previously difficult with the options we have at the moment.
What I mean is, when say a milling machine uses a form tool to cut around a profile, it doesn't stop when the cut starts to overlap or recut part of its previous path. It completes the job without 'worrying' about its feasibility. In CAD this is exactly what is needed sometimes for situations such as this.
I hope some of that makes sense.

Martin.
zumer  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2010 5:25:58 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Simple letters (lower case i's and l's) can be treated with draft to achieve it, with more complex letters, so's the process. Extrude the letters and copy them in place ie two copies coincident. Apply a 45 or whatever degree chamfer wider than half of the letter width to one copy's outer edges, and to the other copy's inner edges. When all of the edges have bevels, intersect the two copies.
zumer attached the following image(s):
intersect bevel.JPG (55kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
blowlamp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:48:25 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Thanks for that zumer. It's exactly what I'm trying to do, but for the Times New Roman font that I'm working with, I just can't find a way to do it.
Still got my fingers crossed that someone can come up with something!

Martin.
Kevin Quigley  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:54:07 AM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

What you are asking for is physically impossible to achieve (or rather what I assume you are asking for). If you take the Times New Roman font and say the letter T, You cannot actually create a single ridge line for the bevel to meet at.

If you look at the attached file I have extruded the T, drawn lines on the T top surface, created a triangular closed profile and swept that around the lines, then subtracted the sweep from the extrude.

Look at the resultant shape.

In this case either the angle of the bevel stays the same and the junction of the bevel and vertical surfaces varies according to the width of the letter, or, the junction curve is kept horizontal and the angle of the bevel changes. You cannot have both.

Even if you had a cutter running on the top surface you would get the same effect as you see in the attached file. Is this what you are after?

The only way to get what you are after - 45 degree bevel and single ridge - is to use letters where the top width is exactly the same at all parts of the letter - like the example posted earlier.
File Attachment(s):
Times T.sfx (59kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

blowlamp  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:28:11 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

To be clear about this, I am after creating a solid or surface representation of the attached file.
Notice how each face is at 45 deg to the vertical.

Thanks for the reply.

Martin.
File Attachment(s):
A.vcp (123kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Kevin Quigley  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 8:11:57 AM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

OK I see what you are doing now. Bad news is there are no shortcuts to achieve this that I know. Your best bet would be to run a 45 degree curve along each edge, trim back then stitch together - lot of work. Are you sure you want to use Times New Roman :)
NickB  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 2:08:12 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think I have it.

Its not simple, but what I did was join the base curves, then did a two rail extrude of a triangular profile (you have an option to maintain height or not), trimmed the ends, and added a small sections at the bottom of the A.
File Attachment(s):
A-v5.vcp.sfx (963kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
NickB attached the following image(s):
A-fixed heighta.png (62kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
NickB  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 2:17:55 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
And variable height.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot 06.png (71kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
lazer  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:51:14 PM(UTC)
lazer

Hi Martin

I suspect you're looking for is this, here are eight pages of reading. ;)
Only it is the reverse!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99356

Armando
blowlamp  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:53:05 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions about this chaps and apologies for not replying sooner. I must go on to say that I've found it almost impossible to do this in a reasonable time in almost any CAD program I've tried.

Armando. You seem to have worked out what I've been trying to do :D
Finding the centre line of each letter is/was my goal, which if successful, I want to extract and use as the basis for Vcarving on my milling machine. It seems a simple problem but is harder to solve than I ever thought it would be.

I'll keep looking for a solution and report back if I am successful.

Martin.
lazer  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 10:42:23 PM(UTC)
lazer

Hi Martin

As you quoted "Finding the centre line of each letter".
In attached file the traces in blue is the center of letter.
Other traces were generated in CamBam.
Review the file in attached.

Armando
File Attachment(s):
testG1_E.vcp (556kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
lazer attached the following image(s):
E.jpg (36kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

zumer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:36:46 AM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've used surface extend from the side surfaces of -45 degree draft extrusions from the profiles. You can derive the ridge line from the surface intersections, at least, some of which I've done.

*edit* I had another think about this. I found that it can be done relatively quickly. A profile group that has the shape without the fillets is a good base. It can be extruded with a negative 45 degree draft, Tim's got Shark and VC creating a "roofline" very competently. I added a couple of other blocks and extrusions about the serifs, because the peaks and fillets of your 3D font are "arty" rather than regular, then used the base profile's curves to extrude subtractive definitions.
File Attachment(s):
A extruded.sfx (341kb) downloaded 5 time(s).