logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blowlamp  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:56:49 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Can someone please explain why the Parting Line tool only works with a line drawn parallel to the WorkPlane on which the part was created, but not normal to it?
To be a little more precise, you *can* apply a Parting Line normal to the WorkPlane, provided both of the Draft Angles are zero, but any other value throws up an error message. It seems like an unecessary restriction to me, that robs the tool of a lot of its power.

Martin.
Steve.M  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:12:12 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Are you using the tools correctly?

Please post an example.

EDIT:
OK, I now see the error message. You can change the workplane to stop the error, however, in VC pro(852) I am now seeing the draft being incorrectly applied on some faces. This did work correctly at one time, probably yet another broken tool. I will look more.

- Steve
blowlamp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:29:32 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Are you using the tools correctly?

Please post an example.

EDIT:
OK, I now see the error message. You can change the workplane to stop the error, however, in VC pro(852) I am now seeing the draft being incorrectly applied on some faces. This did work correctly at one time, probably yet another broken tool. I will look more.

- Steve

Steve.
I wasn't aware that from anything I'd read about the tool that it only worked parallel to the current workplane, so thanks for pointing that out.
I'm still puzzled about why this tool doesn't seem to actually use the specified line as its bend axis (unless both Draft Angles are zero) regardless of what current workplane might be. The Bend tools certainly don't restrict you in this way so why does this one?

Martin.
Steve.M  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:50:01 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: blowlamp Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't aware that from anything I'd read about the tool that it only worked parallel to the current workplane, so thanks for pointing that out.
The parting line does not need to be parallel, just needs to be within the current workplane projection(for lack of a better explanation)

I'm still puzzled about why this tool doesn't seem to actually use the specified line as its bend axis (unless both Draft Angles are zero) regardless of what current workplane might be. The Bend tools certainly don't restrict you in this way so why does this one?
I do not follow you on this, please can you show an example?

This is a quick example of the parting line tool:-

http://dc190.4shared.com/downlo...dfa1994/parting_line.mov

- Steve
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 1:20:10 PM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
The parting line does not need to be parallel, just needs to be within the current workplane projection(for lack of a better explanation)
I do not follow you on this, please can you show an example?

This is a quick example of the parting line tool:-

http://dc190.4shared.com/downlo...dfa1994/parting_line.mov

- Steve

Steve.
Sorry about the unclear wording of my questions, but all I really want to know is: Why does this tool care about which workplane you happen to be in when you use it? After all, the parting line you choose is also the bend axis for the function, so what extra info is to be got from the current workplane?

It's confusing to use, as when the View and the WorkPlane are the same, you always get an error message. This means you're forced to work in (say) the Front WorkPlane to have the tool modify a Top surface, which I find rather odd.
By way of an example whilst in the Top View/Top WorkPlane, draw a primitive cube and place a horizontal centre line upon its surface. When the Parting Line tool is used an error message is given but rotate the view as little as you like and try again, and this time the tool works as it should.
The Draft direction also varies depending on which way the Parting Lines are drawn - some faces being pulled in whilst others are pushed out.

Many thanks for the Video.

Martin.
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 11:17:33 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Martin,

It's confusing to use, as when the View and the WorkPlane are the same, you always get an error message.
I am not sure as to why the tool works this way, but then again, I do not understand some of the error messages that pop up for no reason with other tools, then later, the tool works without error on the exact same.
blowlamp wrote:

The Draft direction also varies depending on which way the Parting Lines are drawn - some faces being pulled in whilst others are pushed out.
Yes, I did see that in the Pro version (which I mentioned in my previous post). I did create the same in the shark 929 release which did work OK, so think that the issue is resolved in that build, and the fix will be released for Pro V6(maybe, sometime, who knows?).
blowlamp wrote:

Many thanks for the Video.

No problem.

- Steve
blowlamp  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2010 5:16:07 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

There's a feature that comes about as a side-effect of using the tool that might be useful to some of us. Use the tool as usual but leave the Upper and Lower Draft angles set at zero (note that as long as both draft angles are at zero, it doen't seem to matter which WorkPlane you're in and the tool still works for this purpose!). This action divides the face of that solid along the chosen line, which can now be manipulated with the Face tools.
The included pic shows a Block primitive with a curvy Parting Line applied to a face, along with a couple of face manipulations.

Martin.
blowlamp attached the following image(s):
Parting.PNG (71kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.