logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:24:40 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Why not? Have you tried it?

Errm yes so take my word for it

Quote:
SC was designed in the shadow of Sketchup. Even Autodesk Inventor has push/pull tools just like Sketchup.

In the shadow of sketchup? why because it has dynamic push pull? :D:D Maybe you should look deeper into who the developers of SC and what they have achieved in this field. Sketchup is a glorified art program (bit better than arty farty) whereas SC builds proper geometry with substance that is manufacturable.....in their shadow did you say nahhhh not really

Quote:
Why should Bonzai3D be any different? This software has just been released. It's dual platform, and that's great news too. Lets see how it matures.

Well, I hope it's x10 better than the earlier versions because it certainly scared me:eek: IMHO Dual platform only "adds" to the development time of a product, thats NOT great news is it?.
ttrw  
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:38:44 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Maybe you should look deeper into who the developers of SC and what they have achieved in this field.

that they were responsible for PTC Pro/Engineer? :rolleyes:

I don't need the power that your company needs, because that is not the work I carry out. I am also an individual, unlike your company Paul. I need a cheaper solution to a Rhino and SpaceClaim combination which would a big investment for me, and frankly, a waste of money, as I have more important issues to deal with.
ttrw  
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:43:44 PM(UTC)
ttrw

IMHO Dual platform only "adds" to the development time of a product, thats NOT great news is it?.

If there is only one developer- maybe, yes. But in the case of Shark, Tim develops on the Mac and Ryan on the PC. It is the same with Rhino. I would also imagine that AutoDesSys also have more than one developer?

At the end of the day, if a developer chooses to to develop for more than one platform, there's not really much one can do about it, and in the end it is better for both developer and consumer, because there is choice. :D
unique  
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:35:15 PM(UTC)
unique

that they were responsible for PTC Pro/Engineer? :rolleyes:

Something wrong with ProE or Solidworks for that matter....same same ?

Quote:
I don't need the power that your company needs, because that is not the work I carry out. I am also an individual, unlike your company Paul. I need a cheaper solution to a Rhino and SpaceClaim combination which would a big investment for me, and frankly, a waste of money, as I have more important issues to deal with.

Maybe not, we have two CAD systems at work Rhino & Spaceclaim. I have taken my VC pro seat back home until we feel it fits in more with our workflow and when the speed of the application is increased.....not too far away I hope

From what you are saying I believe Rhino alone (Mac of course;)) will do everything you need both surfacing and solids & drawings...what do you think ?
ttrw  
#25 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:16:05 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes Rhino is very good, but I miss the ability to make parametric adjustments, without having to redraw.

Again though, Rhino is over the 1000 mark to buy. Shark is still cheaper.

There is however a company called Ledas from Russia, who are making a parametric plug-in for Rhino called DrivingDimensions. Ledas already make a parametric plug-in for Sketchup. I also have both the PC and Mac beta for this plug in (both are excellent). Ledas hope to make the Rhino version next.

I have nothing against Solidworks and Pro/E, apart from their prices, which I simply cannot afford. Also, I would have to invest a further 800 or so, on top of those, just to upgrade my ageing PC.

In my mind, 3D CAD is ridiculously overpriced, whatever angle you want to look at it from.
unique  
#26 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 1:39:15 AM(UTC)
unique

Yes Rhino is very good, but I miss the ability to make parametric adjustments, without having to redraw.

Are you aware of history now available on a lot of functions?

Quote:
Again though, Rhino is over the 1000 mark to buy. Shark is still cheaper

Woooahh is it really we paid about 600 when we got on at V3. Tom it's worth every Penny at 1,000 (Bear in mind V5 is around the corner)

Quote:
There is however a company called Ledas from Russia, who are making a parametric plug-in for Rhino called DrivingDimensions. Ledas already make a parametric plug-in for Sketchup. I also have both the PC and Mac beta for this plug in (both are excellent). Ledas hope to make the Rhino version next.

Thanks for the info. I have a general interest in Grasshopper and think this will do just that in time to come....
ttrw  
#27 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 2:04:00 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Are you aware of history now available on a lot of functions?

I've just downloaded the latest rh40Mac beta build- so I'll give it a look. But I think the beta is still at v4 (it is). Apparently when the Windows v5 build arrives, Rhino for Mac will also upgrade. (I still think Shark, despite the few remaining small, but irritating bugs, is a far better CAD than Rhino :) )

Woooahh is it really we paid about 600 when we got on at V3. Tom it's worth every Penny at 1,000 (Bear in mind V5 is around the corner)

Yes, but you probably bought it when the pound was strong against the dollar. I'm sure it is worth every penny, however I've just bought a Lumix G1 digital camera for 350 secondhand, and I know from experience, that I can make that back within one PR shoot. I'd say that I'm going to have to do 5 to 10 CAD jobs to make 1000, and right now, the manufacturing CAD work ain't exactly pouring in. So this still seems a lot of money to me.

Thanks for the info. I have a general interest in Grasshopper and think this will do just that in time to come....

Yes Grasshopper looks very fun and powerful too, but Ledas' plug-in is only $50, which isn't very much outlay.

One thing I must say Paul, is that in my personal experience, software for Mac, is one heck of a lot cheaper than software for Windows. I guess I've kind of come accustomed to that now.

:D
Steve.M  
#28 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 3:46:23 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Again though, Rhino is over the 1000 mark to buy.

Its a rip off really. In the states Rhino is $995, which coverts to 600, but the price in the UK is around 900

In my mind, 3D CAD is ridiculously overpriced
Could not agree more.

- Steve
dudko  
#29 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 5:52:59 AM(UTC)
dudko

Well, I hope it's x10 better than the earlier versions because it certainly scared me:eek: IMHO Dual platform only "adds" to the development time of a product, thats NOT great news is it?.

Directly, this is not the problem !!!
Handicap is, program, that comes without SDK.
If something is not working, a plugin can do it.
Rhino's strength is SDK and openNURBS and see other popular software.
Hundreds and hundreds of plugins that enhance the functionality.

Keyword: SketchUp ..what is SketchUp without plugins (naked belly), see examples
http://www.tensile-structures.de/
http://sketchup.google.com/download/plugins.html
http://www.ohyeahcad.com/download/
http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLi...y/RUBY_Library_Depot.htm
http://www.smustard.com/
http://drivingdimensions.com/
For one or two developer a long way, such a comprehensive functionality, or not Paul ???
I do not think, that on a platform was something faster.

SketchUp can handle only polygonal data. A bad comparison to BONZAI3d.
Do not forget, BONZAI3d is based on ACIS, thus the same base, such as Shark.
In V1 very powerful, Acis 19 supported.
At the moment is not dangerous for Shark, may however change.
Ok, VC/Sahrk has almost everything you need and VC comes with the best price.
However, many functions need refinement, particularly 2d modul and accuracy.
The same also applies to Shark and VC.
I hope to, Tim and Ryan change this shortly !!!

regards ED
dudko  
#30 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 6:03:04 AM(UTC)
dudko

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post

Your joking, right?

- Steve

Hehe, false expressive.:o
many complex in functions.
zumer  
#31 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 7:23:19 AM(UTC)
zumer

I agree entirely (or should that be "I entirely agree"? )

"To boldly split infinitives like no man has split before"- Quoting Douglas Adams, from "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy"! :cool:

Made me laugh, Tom. Poor Douglas died a couple of years before the Oxford English Dictionary boffins did a backflip with a grace that would make a politician swoon with envy, when they decided that they'd been waging a pogrom against it due to faulty logic, and that it's alright to do it after all. And they showed Vatican-like thickness of skin by not apologising to the Copernican-statured visionaries that they'd excommunicated from the language, who'd been splitting away defiantly regardless of the opprobrium.
Steve.M  
#32 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 8:27:13 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: dudko Go to Quoted Post
many complex in functions.

Hi ED,

I agree. BZ will never even compete with 2d/3d.

I just hope Tim gets the 2 rail sweep and surface matching sorted out.

- Steve
ttrw  
#33 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 9:42:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Crikey! :eek: A fellow hitch hiker!! :D

:D
Steve.M  
#34 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:06:37 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

A fellow hitch hiker!! :D

Tom,

I though the series was excellent. I will have to dig it out and watch again.

- steve
ttrw  
#35 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:26:13 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I though the series was excellent. I will have to dig it out and watch again.

I'll let you into a little secret, the original BBC Radio series was a lot better (IMHO)! What I love about radio, is that you can create far better images using your brain's own imagination- rather than fancy effects. The TV series was of course, also created before computer graphics.

I didn't really care for the 3rd and 4th series- the ones that were made recently. These were a little too 'over dramatised' for my personal liking. Sometimes nothing but eerie Radiophonic wind in the background is all you need to blow you away! :cool:
Steve.M  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:27:57 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

......the original BBC Radio series was a lot better (IMHO)!
I do have a tape of the BBC series (I think somewhere).
I do however still prefer books to radio/film. (even though my imagination is lacking these days :D)

Certainly off topic:

when a kid, I had lego, then later Meccano, with my imagination and those building tools I built anything,.. pity I was not born 40 years later with the tools (3d modelers) now available, certainly as I have little imagination now.

- Steve
ttrw  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:57:21 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve, have you seen VirtualMEC; Mecanno CAD? :eek:

http://www.virtualmec.com/

:cool:
Steve.M  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:55:38 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Steve, have you seen VirtualMEC; Mecanno CAD?

No I had not,.. but that looks so much fun. :)
bmeissner  
#39 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:12:09 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

when a kid, I had lego, then later Meccano, with my imagination and those building tools I built anything,.. pity I was not born 40 years later with the tools (3d modelers) now available, certainly as I have little imagination now.

Well, Steve, maybe it helps your imagination using the TOOLS of today on the PARTS of the past.

I created the models in the attached images about 7-10 years ago (using FormZ). The buggy was a fantasy model I created, which was later on built by Mrklin for a catalog title. The "LaManche" plane was a real Mrklin Metall product, and we did the assembly instructions :)

Regards,
Bernd
bmeissner attached the following image(s):
Sahara Rallye_LR.jpg (179kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
LaManche.JPG (59kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#40 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:44:54 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

If there is only one developer- maybe, yes. But in the case of Shark, Tim develops on the Mac and Ryan on the PC.

Tom,

Where did you get this info? Is it correct?
If the development is split and there are actually different version between the PC and Mac, it would answer some questions as to why I have problems with the PC version that are being disputed from users on the Mac.(such as the 2 rail sweep)

- Steve