logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tem  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 6:43:16 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
In Rhino I was able to loft from any shape (a closed curve in 3D or 2D) through another shape (closed curve again) above it. This would result in a closed surface that would start at the first shape and smoothly pass through the 2nd shape without a cap or cover surface, just a very nice transition all in one surface. It was a type of loft operation, although it might work better as a bulge with CU. There are several options to modify the transition as well. It was very useful for creating organic surfaces with some control. I think that one could reference several closed curves and the surface would build up to and through those shapes, also all enclosed (usually one surface). I sure would love to have this kind of tool in CU. Thanks
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 8:45:36 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think we do .. you need to look in the sub tool pallettes - I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for

If you have a specific example or a diagram, I'm sure someone here can help
Tem  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:14:32 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

lofting from large blue circle through the smaller blue circle would result in a surface that would look like the gray curves (if the gray curves were U V curves on a surface). I tried to attach an example of this as a PNG file.
This is a simplified example.
[ATTACH]83[/ATTACH]
Tem attached the following image(s):
Picture 1.png (21kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:37:10 AM(UTC)
jol

The surface tools often allow the placement of a point as a curve. This is not all that well documented, but should allow you a few more possibilities

I suggest you place a point at the intersect (summit of your dome) and use that as a 'third circle'. Hopefully you can then loft. I'll have a go later myself
jol  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2007 10:26:52 PM(UTC)
jol

Hi again Tem

seems there are multiple ways of attacking this

the point at the summit will help. (use the point to substitute for a curve

- you could network surface - but you'd have to do it in 2 half domes

- you could skin it (circle, circle, point)

- you could skin with rails. you may have to split the circles to do this - again in sections

- you could cover surface with guides - and just include everything as your guides - it doesn't seem to matter if they meet the perimeter curve, so include the inner circle, point and the guides - for a clean surface however, be smart about using as little internal geometry as can possibly be used to correctly describe the shape you're after

Dont forget that some surface tools have 'advanced options' available on pressing 'option' ('ctrl' for PC)
Tem  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:19:33 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

All of the suggested methods require a lot of experimentation to "maybe" get surfaces to look as I invision.
My past experience possibly leads me to think that CU can achieve what this other program can do with a bit of development effort.
One of the qualities that I value about CU is the ability to interactively form surfaces, not needing to re-select references several times, instead by simply adjusting some simple parameters to refine the results of these operations.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:06:09 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
You might want to explore the cover with guides tool. Attached is a file using the large circle as the cover and all the other curves as guides
File Attachment(s):
CoverWithGuides.cu (28kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tem  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:12:30 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

I should have been more forethcomming on the surface that I was developing.
I presented a very simple example of what I was trying to achieve.

It is essentailly a triad shape with rounded corners, all curves/arcs (6 in all).
3 convex and 3 concave curves (tangent at curve junctures).

I did try using cover with guide but I think my "newness" to CU might be affecting how I assume it should be layed out in 3d space.

I managed to use surface "bulge" that got me close to what I wanted.
I hope the image I just tried to attach comes through.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Tem attached the following image(s):
triad_surface.png (54kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

nabed  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:52:42 PM(UTC)
nabed

This seems like a classic example for a surface that can be build using cover with guides...

Ciao, Norbert
Tem  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:15:57 PM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Thanks Norbert,

These surfacing issues are always complex, and it is often not easy to explain all of the details involved in creating the imagined result.

I did try the cover with guide approach but, in trying this I encountered some issues with internal parts that would protrude. This occured because the surface doesn't have a target shape to go through that could constrain its resulting form, this shape would be the circle. The circle would also provide some consistency around the triad where "cover with guide" results in a more directional form that is more symetric. I hope that was somewhat clear.
Anyway, this is really a suggestion, not a bug becuse this tool does not yet exist in CU. I am really looking forward to this type of functionality in CU, if you can't tell.;)
nabed  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2007 4:38:39 AM(UTC)
nabed

In any case You are completly right that Your suggestion would be a welcome addition to CU's surface feature set.
If it works in other programs, why shouldn't it in CU?

Speaking of suggestions:
Similarily to Your closed loft, I'd like to suggest a closed net surface.
This would allow closed net curves to result in closed, continuous net surfaces. (I hope I explained myself?! Tim, if You need an example let me know!)

Ciao, Norbert