logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 3:41:16 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tim,

Can I put in for a request consideration regarding the 'esc' key? On the majority of other CAD packages (both Mac and PC), pressing the Esc key, returns whatever tool is presently being used back to the select tool.

At present I am wasting time constantly having to return to the tool palette to reset to the select tool- and with a big monitor.......!

T :)
unique  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:13:28 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
Tim,

Can I put in for a request consideration regarding the 'esc' key? On the majority of other CAD packages (both Mac and PC), pressing the Esc key, returns whatever tool is presently being used back to the select tool.

At present I am wasting time constantly having to return to the tool palette to reset to the select tool- and with a big monitor.......!

T :)

Great suggestion !. I second that request and I hope Tim can try this in a beta..... BUT for the time you can add a shortcut ?. Goto shortcuts>tools>selection (assign key ` which is nearest to esc)

Have a good weekend.
unique attached the following image(s):
shortcuts.png (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:58:49 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Thanks for the heads up Paul- the only problem with your seggestion is that that particular function (which I can't reproduce- because it ain't here!) is not the nearest key next to the escape key on a Macbook keyboard. You either have '' or '' or '!' (I suppose I should just assign '' instead?! ;) )

I would also like to suggest that all tool palettes dissapear, leaving just the main 'canvas' screen until escape is pressed once more- thus making the drawing screen less cluttered when sketching.

Tom :)
unique  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 6:55:29 AM(UTC)
unique

Thanks for the heads up Paul- the only problem with your seggestion is that that particular function (which I can't reproduce- because it ain't here!) is not the nearest key next to the escape key on a Macbook keyboard. You either have '' or '' or '!' (I suppose I should just assign '' instead?! ;) )

Tom :)

No sympathy, get a PC !

If you look at my shortcut I have used 'c' but then it doesnt really matter what key it is after a while as the finger finds it's way ;)
jdi000  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:02:07 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Paul

Did you know that the "c" key has a built in function to move the workplane to the point you have selected? Take c off as select and move your cursor till you get a snap with the logi cursor on a 3d object and hit c and it moves the workplane to that point and keep hitting and it rotates the workplane orientation at that point.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:33:43 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
No sympathy, get a PC !

Give me 5 really good reasons for getting a PC? ;)

FWIW, that symbol that you mention is available on this keyboard- just under a contextual menu...somewhere... :p

:)
unique  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:01:48 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Paul

Did you know that the "c" key has a built in function to move the workplane to the point you have selected? Take c off as select and move your cursor till you get a snap with the logi cursor on a 3d object and hit c and it moves the workplane to that point and keep hitting and it rotates the workplane orientation at that point.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes I moved that to 'p' now ;) but FYI upper & lower case are recognised using the same character
unique  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:05:41 AM(UTC)
unique

Give me 5 really good reasons for getting a PC? ;)

Nahhhh you stick with Mac Tom....:rolleyes:
Gary  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:22:28 AM(UTC)
Gary

to play devils advocate, I often use the escape key to halt the steps I have taken, mid operation, and want to remain in that tool.

I vote for users assigning a different key (of their choosing) for the selection tool.

Gary
jol  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:31:40 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I vote that selection should be hardwired to the V key

I say this because we are broadly following the Adobe interface paradigm

All Adobe products use V to go back to selection
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:21:59 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Gary Go to Quoted Post
to play devils advocate, I often use the escape key to halt the steps I have taken, mid operation, and want to remain in that tool.

What's wrong with undo?

- but I agree, just having a shortcut for it is a 95% good step in the right direction :)