logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:04:15 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
How is it possible to create a mould from a CU/ Shark part? Is there a step of procedures one has to create?

I need to create a top and bottom part for injection moulding.

Tom
nick  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:37:54 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Tom

I knocked up a quick movie for you to illustrate the principle with a very simple component.

http://www.cadsoftsolutions.co.uk/movies/simple_mould.mov

All the best
Nick
ianjkirby  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:35:41 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi Nick,
Thanks for making and posting the interesting movie. I am new to ViaCad, and have a question. The tools visible in the clip look like ViaCad, but there are tools in your movie I have never seen. Particularly the toolbar on the rhs which contains what looks like a range of eyes, single and multiple, in reds and greens. There is also an icon I have not seen before on the lhs. Did you in fact use ViaCad, or is it something else?
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
nick  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:49:39 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello Ian

I was using Shark as opposed to ViaCAD but most tools should be available in ViaCAD. The tools on the right were the show hide tools which should be available in ViaCAD too via Window menu.

All the best
Nick
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 11:24:39 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Nick, that's fantastic! (apart from the fact that it would really benefit from audio- I'd be happy to do a voice over. I know that many people don't like their own voices. I used to be the same, but I have no problem now!).

It's really quite odd seeing that on Mac OS X too, having been 'forced' to use Windose for the last 3 years now. But it's these instructional videos that Shark is really missing. The included tutorials are too basic. They're good, but not good enough.

I think Punch really needs to get on top of this tutorial thing.

And Nick, thanks again :)
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
ttrw

BTW, this is a good link.

http://moldright.com/draft.htm

I got some more information on mould making from my friend, Tim (not our Olson!) in the States. He told me to forget it over moulds- unless you intend to do them all the time, full times, as they are a bit of a fine art. Tim has been a product designer working with Solidworks for the last 12 years- and so knows his stuff. Unfortunately for me, I i]had[/i] to do a mould, it being part of my dissertation.
lebeau  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2007 2:26:05 PM(UTC)
lebeau

If you need help with molds let me know, it's s large portion of the work I do.

If your doing a steel injection mold, one site that is very helpful is dme.net They are a supplier of mold bases and mold components.

Other suppliers include

http://www.pcs-company.com
http://progressivecomponents.com

These companies offer mold base and mold components for download from their site.
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:27:51 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Thanks for the tip!

I'm in my final stages of a BSc degree in product engineering, and we're working with moulds at present.