logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:41:49 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm trying to figure out how to transfer or copy an existing sketch on one face of a 3D object into an adjacent sketch on a new face in ViaCAD. Is such a thing available in ViaCAD?

In Solidworks, this function is called 'copy entities', and I used it in SW's all the time.

Does anyone know how to do this? As it seems rather stupid to have to redraw mirrored lines all over again.

FWIW, I've finally been able to sit down with VC and have some fun with it after buying VC over two years ago! Great software Tim! :D
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:40:08 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I believe the Americans use the expression 'bump'?!

However being British, I find this remark far too ungentlemanly (!!!) so I'd like to offer an alternative;

Any ideas, chaps??

;) :D
lebeau  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 9:50:14 AM(UTC)
lebeau

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question. Copy and paste the curves then moved the new lines to the spot you want them. There is just one big 3d sketch in viacad and it just depends on what's selected.

Does this make sense?
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 10:09:50 AM(UTC)
ttrw

lebeau wrote:

Does this make sense?

yes and no, but mostly no. lol!

Have you used Solidworks at all? It makes a lot more sense if you are an ex-Solidworks user (like me).

In Solidworks while editing a sketch, and while in wireframe mode, it is possible to copy selected entities from one sketch to another. I thought that this would be possible in VC, considering that both are alike. But it seems you can't. Or at least I don't know how to. Copy and paste does not work, or at least it wouldn't for me.

Try it. Perhaps you know what to do?

:D
lebeau  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:30:47 AM(UTC)
lebeau

if you create circle and extrude it you get a cylinder. The circle you selected for the extrude is the sketch of that cylinder. select the circle copy and paste you'll get another circle then extrude that. This same principle is the same for selecting multiple curves that make up a profile. In punch software you don't enter and exit sketches. You work always in a 3d sketch, each sketch is composed of the curves selected for each operation. In shark you can apply constraints to those sketches. (the profiles that make up each operation)

Perhaps the problem your having is how to select the curves of a given profile. One way is to show only the geometry you made, the one you want to copy the curves of. Then show parents, then hide the object. You'll get the profile (sketch) of that object. select all- copy and paste.

Perhaps your talking about duplicate part with history? Right click on a object and you get this option. I have never had success with this tool btw.
chipmaker2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2008 5:58:06 PM(UTC)
chipmaker2

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi TTRW
Try this and it will work for any sketch the shape is unimportant.

Make a 2" cube and on one face sketch a 1" circle. Click the two point rotate tool and hold down the ctrl button "windows". Click the center of the circle then click a quadrant of the circle then click on a line or use the tracking tool projected in the direction you want to rotate the new copy. Now drag the new copy into the position on the face where you want the sketch. And oh yes don't forget the input box up above if you decide to change the rotate angle to something other than 90 degrees.
Hope this helps.:)
Chuck
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 2, 2008 2:08:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hey Chuck :)

This seems like it could work, I'll try it. Thanks!

Tom
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 2:34:13 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Nope.

However the tool I was looking for already exists :o

It's called the "project curve surface" tool, and it works well.

I hope this helps other Solidworks to Shark FX converts! :D
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 4:00:51 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hmm perhaps not. Just hit another little snag- and that this tool only seems to work with curves (arcs) :(

Using parallel line tool only sticks to one plane :confused: