logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:15:14 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
While looking at the shortcuts page, I stumbled across 'sheet metal shortcuts' (see pic). What's this then Tim? Some little hidden gem?? I can't find anything in the manual about sheet metal.

I don't know about you, but sheet metal tools are really useful! Can we have these tools back?? I'll buy Shark instead of a seat of Solidworks! (well actually I was going to do that anyway :D :D :D )
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:53:15 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
ttrw wrote:
While looking at the shortcuts page, I stumbled across 'sheet metal shortcuts' (see pic). What's this then Tim? Some little hidden gem?? I can't find anything in the manual about sheet metal.

I don't know about you, but sheet metal tools are really useful! Can we have these tools back?? I'll buy Shark instead of a seat of Solidworks! (well actually I was going to do that anyway )

You don't miss much:)

The sheet metal tools are a work in progress. I agree, it would be a welcome addition. I can't think of any other mac CAD app with sheet metal (except perhaps NX) They will not be part of ViaCAD. Nothing yet to mention on a release date as it's still very preliminary.

They are not supposed to be listed in the short cut keys of ViaCAD which I am fixing now. Thanks for reporting!

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:20:51 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Tim Olson wrote:
You don't miss much:)

Lol! Well I'm firmly behind a similar reasoning to Jol. You have a dynamite application here, which has had a little neglect over the past few years- mainly I suspect because of/ from the heavy opposition such as Dessault etc. So I believe it is our duty to stand firmly by you and support you every little inch! (I think the saying goes; "Never underestimate the power of your fanbase"? :D ). That fact that you Tim, have stuck firmly in support of Apple, while so many others have dropped the platform in favour of Microsoft .NET, makes you a very important developer indeed!

Tim Olson wrote:

The sheet metal tools are a work in progress. I agree, it would be a welcome addition. I can't think of any other mac CAD app with sheet metal (except perhaps NX) They will not be part of ViaCAD. Nothing yet to mention on a release date as it's still very preliminary.

I understand about sheet metal tools not being included in ViaCAD. The fact that you have ViaCAD is very important- a 3D CAD application that costs a mere 50 quid and integrates with ACAD, Iges, Step etc etc? Designing nice fancy surfaces is all very well (my degree made me realise how expensive it is to tool for complex surfaces- especially with all those drafts and shut-offs. However if you can't design the sheet metal parts that are used within your product housing that you've just modelled, without having to open Pro/E or Solidworks....well I'd think that others considering purchasing a mid-priced 3D CAD application would be thinking that because you can do roughly the same type of surfacing in these two other apps, why bother with Shark at all? So yes, sheet metal creation tools are really important! I can't emphasise this enough!

Tim Olson wrote:
Thanks for reporting!

Likewise, keep up the great work! :)

The degree is over, and now I intend to get some further work. I will also be saving for a copy of Shark too (and hopefully by then, the sheet metal tools also!) :cool:
victorf57  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:29:48 AM(UTC)
victorf57

I'm not an expert here but here are my thoughts.
ViaCad its the entry level 3d cad from Punch.
This is where many people will start before moving up to bigger and better.
But if the tools in Via are enough to the user then there is no need for them to move up.
And one of the reasons maybe that they don't know other tools exist,or they
haven't had the opportunity to experiment with them, so if a tool doesn't exist for you there is no need for it.
As the old say goes "you don't miss what you never had" :-)
However if all the tools are included in ViaCad but limited in some way then the user will get to work with these tools and see how much easier their life would be if they had the complete tool box.
Just my .02 cents worth.
Victor
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 3:09:50 PM(UTC)
ttrw

victorf57 wrote:
I'm not an expert here but here are my thoughts.
ViaCad its the entry level 3d cad from Punch.

Hi Victorf57.

I disagree with you (partly). Yes ViaCAD is simple, but it is not, despite being so cheap, an 'entry level' application. ViaCAD is actually extremely powerful.

BUT,

I, like many others, and many who are now looking for an alternative to Windows Vista and XP based computers, will have come from a background that has been dominated by the big players like Solidworks, AutoCAD, SolidEdge etc etc. So it is vitally important that there is a viable multipurpose CAD alternative on this most elegant platform, OS X.

FWIW, I've just finished a BSc (honours) in CAD where my primary software has been Solidworks. I don't know if you are aware, but both ViaCAD and Solidworks are based on the same kernel, Parasolid. This means that both of these products will behave in a very similar way to each other, and they do. ViaCAD is very much like a 'mini Solidworks', and many of the functions- like for eg Young's Modulus of a specified material given to a part made in either application is available. This is a very cool 'added extra' indeed!

But you should not get into the mindset that just because it is not there, then you will have never missed it, because like current governments, if you do not champion improvement, and therefore change, nothing will ever... ahem, change, and therefore improve.

Sheet metal, like Tim quite rightly points out is a really useful addition, and I can understand totally why it wouldn't appear in ViaCAD, because like you have pointed out (Victor?), ViaCAD is nice and simple as it is (even if it isn't! ;) ). But I strongly disagree with you that a simpler toolset is better. It is not. What is bad are tools that aren't really needed, and yes, SW's has fallen foul to this a little, but then again, if time is money, then extra tools that make for better productivity have to be welcomed and NOT ignored.
victorf57  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:23:10 PM(UTC)
victorf57

Perhaps I wasn't being clear.:)
I do agree that the new tools should be in ViaCad, I believe any new tools that are created by Punch should be in viacad,But I also understand the difference in price from shark to concepts to??
so what I was trying to say is give the user of ViaCad a taste of the new tools such as sheet metal but perhaps not the full package if the full package is needed then upgrade to shark or????
It would be a tool with limits but it would give an introduction to the new tools which in my opinion is better then not having them at all.:)
regards
Victor
tmay  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:58:52 PM(UTC)
tmay

http://www.spatial.com/

VC and Shark are using the ACIS kernel plus add on modules and translators from the company above. Seems to me that SW is quite restrictive about interoperability, and a Parasolids translator is probably an expensive add-on, which may be why you don't see either listed in the imports/exports list.

SW imports ACIS SAT files fine, but lacking translators, VC and Shark users will need to import a translation of a SW or Parasolids file, an inconvenience for some, but not a big deal in my opinion.

Sheet metal tools will be welcome, but I hold out hope for higher level assembly tools, and the continuing expansion of parametric capabilities.

tom
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 11:34:00 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Tom

>>and the continuing expansion of parametric capabilities.

Yup

>> but I hold out hope for higher level assembly tools,

Are you thinking reference files (part/assemblies) or something else?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
tmay  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:37:37 AM(UTC)
tmay

Tim Olson wrote:
Tom

>>and the continuing expansion of parametric capabilities.

Yup

>> but I hold out hope for higher level assembly tools,

Are you thinking reference files (part/assemblies) or something else?

Tim

Reference files, I think, if that is what keeps track of the assembly features. If I'm not mistaken, you should have up to six degree of freedom for each assembly of two parts, and I suppose there could be multiple constraints between those two parts, like a curved slot and a pivot. I'm guessing that you would need to be in an assembly mode, and that mode would have its own feature tree as the assembly features are created.

tom
tmay  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2008 7:10:34 PM(UTC)
tmay

A couple of requests.

I prefer to assemble in a separate window/file using part files that I have previously created. Currently , I open a part file, copy, open the assembly file, paste, and then use mate/connect starting with my base part. It would be useful via mate/connect to open a part from a list of recent parts, or to browse, perhaps with an icon of the part. This would save a lot of steps.

Also, it would be nice to have alignment/rotation added into mate/connect, to save having to return to a separate rotation operation.

Secondly, I tried some top-down assembly, where I was using features on one part to create features on a second part. No problem with that, but I would like to be able to save those created parts as separate files after creation. If I copy and paste into a new file, I lose the feature tree ( I may have to try duplicate)

thanks,

tom
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2008 4:09:17 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Good input Tom :)

tmay wrote:

I prefer to assemble in a separate window/file using part files that I have previously created. Currently , I open a part file, copy, open the assembly file, paste, and then use mate/connect starting with my base part. It would be useful via mate/connect to open a part from a list of recent parts, or to browse, perhaps with an icon of the part. This would save a lot of steps.

Yes, Very similar to Solidworks; during assembly in Solidworks, a small window to the left of the main assembly screen is open showing a list of parts. One simply drags parts into the assembly screen from that window. An icon is also at the top of this small screen, that denotes an operation to continue to hold this window open (shown as a pin icon), until the designer chooses to 'release the pin' (radio button), closing the window. Items in the assembly screen can then be assembled accordingly, using the mating functions.

Actually there is a lot in favour for the existing Shark/ VC assembly method, as it is geared nicely towards creating a model from scratch (bottom up assembly). New layers can be added to create new parts, then if parts need to be milled or tooled off, STL files can be created from the individual layers.

HOWEVER.....

If there is also the type of assembly available which works in a similar manner to how Tom describes, this would make Shark exceptionally powerful, much more powerful than both Solidworks and 3DS Max.

tmay wrote:

Also, it would be nice to have alignment/rotation added into mate/connect, to save having to return to a separate rotation operation.

Yes- including parametric relations to mates, like a concentric relationship on a shaft, for eg making an engine or a hinge for a door etc? Tom, it sounds like you are requesting a feature to flip the orientation of the part (also ala Solidworks) on a right click or control-click (single click Apple mouse)? A very useful feature. I'd also like to suggest being able to orient individual parts in an assembly window too. Again similar to SW's- but probably very similar to all the other Spatial-based CAD apps too?

tmay wrote:

Secondly, I tried some top-down assembly, where I was using features on one part to create features on a second part. No problem with that, but I would like to be able to save those created parts as separate files after creation. If I copy and paste into a new file, I lose the feature tree ( I may have to try duplicate)

This sounds like it either is a bug, or a hangover from a time where files were kept to a minimum in size in order to be stored on a smaller drive. My first laptop was an Apple Powerbook G3. The PB's hard drive was a tiny (by todays standards) 2gb!!!! I would imagine that Tim has never felt the need to change this- but as a timesaver, you have a very good point. :)

I know the first two requests are going to be hard to code- but I think it will be highly worth it. I imagine though that we will have to wait a while (Shark v10?), but I'm here patient and waiting (fingers crossed!). :D
Exocubic  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 12:09:51 PM(UTC)
Exocubic

Don't know how I missed this thread! I would absolutely LOVE to have some Solidworks-style sheet metal features in Shark - especially folding/unfolding, frame-based weldments, and rip functions. Even if it was developed as a separate module that cost some extra $. I am teetering on the brink of SWITCHING BACK TO WINDOWS (sheesh, did I actually just type that?) and laying down the cash for a seat of SW - primarily for it's metalworking toolset. I spend way too much time manually doing things that good sheet metal/weldment tools could do automatically. Like this, for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCUML_UEwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXnrxpVS3xI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...ZySw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKLQfpieEag&NR=1

Oh, and while I'm in dreamland - how about some interface/usability enhancements, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...dworks&hl=en&sitesearch=

More interactivity within the modeling window and maybe a transform widget? Drag and Drop features?
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 1:55:35 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Tim, didn't Ashlar Vellum Cobalt once have a flatten feature, that showed the cut out profile?

Mark, although limited, there are the existing bend tools in Shark already, and they work fairly well as they stand. Also Tim has talked about sheet metal tools a few times, so I imagine that now Punch are seeing that there is a need for them still (I for one want them back), they will hopefully get Tim's development team to replace them.

Solidworks is lovely software, but SW's also sells a lot more seats than Punch do (at present anyway), so they can afford to have bigger development teams, and therefore deliver the goods to us faster. But yes, switching back to Windows after picking up OS X can be a real shock to the system! Windows (although it works) is such a horrible operating system! LOL! :eek:
lgrijalva  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 12:06:13 AM(UTC)
lgrijalva

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yes please!!

this will be an awesome feature

Lgrijalva
Luis G
Industrial Designer
MacOSX 10.10, Yosemite
Shark FX V8, Beta testing Shark FX V9-1146
www.miditec.com.mx
www.diferro.com
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:12:13 AM(UTC)
ttrw

lgrijalva wrote:
yes please!!

this will be an awesome feature

What was that Bugs Bunny line...; "You heard what the man says, that's what he said.....!" :D

I've got some ideas too with sheet metal tools in Shark, so when you're ready Tim, just shout!

Tom :)