logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:20:25 AM(UTC)
Quote
ttrw

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/1/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,583

:eek:

Now I think I know what Jol's been on about. Press the perspective button, and everything seems squashed into infinity!! (using b782).
Nick R  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:04:54 AM(UTC)
Quote
Nick R

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/16/2007(UTC)
Posts: 97

You can set the perspective by using View Properties under the view menu.

However when you need to set perspective with a particular view this can be a pain, especially as the next time you come to use that view the perspective setting has been lost.

It would be better to have a Camera to set viewpoint and perspective/ focal length.

Also you will find the Open GL shading breaks up for shorter focal lengths, which is a pain when doing perspective screenshots.

It would be great if this could all be sorted because its embarassing working alongside Rhino users who find Shark pretty feeble in this area.

Nick Robinson
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:02:00 AM(UTC)
Quote
ttrw

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/1/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,583

Nick R wrote:

However when you need to set perspective with a particular view this can be a pain, especially as the next time you come to use that view the perspective setting has been lost.



I'm also experiencing a similar behaviour in the cutout solid tool. It seems that once the distance is set to start, that is where it stays until I restart the application. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? But as it stands, this is a tad (rather) frustrating.
jlm  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2008 12:12:06 AM(UTC)
Quote
jlm

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 2/18/2007(UTC)
Posts: 889
Man
France
Location: Limours

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Nick R wrote:
is a pain when doing perspective screenshots.

Oh yes !
And I still wonder about the value of the focal length number (at least in metric...)
JL
jol  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:36:51 AM(UTC)
Quote
jol

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 2/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 2,156

>> Oh yes .. And I still wonder about the value of the focal length number

It has a perfectly random result. Hence the focal length helps Mrs Olson to calculate what to give Mr Olson for dinner : )
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:25:19 AM(UTC)
Quote
ttrw

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/1/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,583

LOL!!!!!!!!

:cool: :D
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:52:28 AM(UTC)
Quote
ttrw

Rank: Senior Member

Joined: 4/1/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,583

jlm wrote:
Oh yes !
And I still wonder about the value of the focal length number (at least in metric...)


Well anyone who takes a photo or two in 35mm format knows that 8mm is a fish-eye, 14mm is mostly full-frame fish-eye (Sigma make a great 14mm btw!), 20mm is an extreme wide, 24mm and 28mm are extreme to moderate wide angle, 35mm is a good compromise between 28mm and 50mm (f35mm being the 'photojournalists choice'), 50mm normal, 85mm short telephoto, 105mm (one of the best Nikkor lenses ever- 105mm macro!)- 135mm moderate telephoto, 200mm- 600mm 'sports lenses'......Phew!

I dunno what the focal length is here? 4mm?? :eek:

BUT, I have got it to work, and when it works, it works very well. It's just a bit cryptic in how it is set up. So perhaps this is the key? a recode for ease of use? :D
Guest  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 08, 2017 12:43:48 PM(UTC)
Attach Quote
Guest

Rank: Guest

Joined: 8/27/2014(UTC)
Posts: 374

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
jlm wrote:
Oh yes !And I still wonder about the value of the focal length number (at least in metric...)
Well anyone who takes a photo or two in 35mm format knows that 8mm is a fish-eye, 14mm is mostly full-frame fish-eye (Sigma make a great 14mm btw!), 20mm is an extreme wide, 24mm and 28mm are extreme to moderate wide angle, 35mm is a good compromise between 28mm and 50mm (f35mm being the 'photojournalists choice'), 50mm normal, 85mm short telephoto, 105mm (one of the best Nikkor lenses ever- 105mm macro!)- 135mm moderate telephoto, 200mm- 600mm 'sports lenses'......Phew!I dunno what the focal length is here? 4mm?? :eek: BUT, I have got it to work, and when it works, it works very well. It's just a bit cryptic in how it is set up. So perhaps this is the key? a recode for ease of use? :D


Awesome !
24c  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 09, 2017 2:01:09 AM(UTC)
Quote
24c

Rank: Guest

Joined: 7/27/2015(UTC)
Posts: 108

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well Guest, that's a helluva thread resurrection :)
That's why I like dropping in on the Forum though, you get the occasional snippet that missed you, or never realised was there.
Perspective? I have never bothered thinking about it, as just used Dyn View screenshots to view my models.
Thanks Guest :D
24c attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 08.44.16.png
Guest  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 9:53:33 AM(UTC)
Attach Quote
Guest

Rank: Guest

Joined: 8/27/2014(UTC)
Posts: 374

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thank you - that helps !

Where were you in 2008 ?

: )

Jol

Edited by user Friday, August 25, 2017 9:55:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: correction

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.