logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2008 11:04:43 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
Mate and Connect
The Mate and Connect tools provide options for positioning and aligning faces of parts relative to other faces by:
Connect Point
Mate Faces
Align Faces
Insert Faces

Connection
The Connection tool will move a part to another part, connecting two points between the parts. The Connection is associative, moving one part will move the other to maintain the connection.

Mate Faces
The Mate Face tool will rotate a selected planar face such that the face normal is exactly the opposite as the referenced face. The Mate Faces tool is associative, moving one part will move the other to maintain the mated faces.

Align Faces
The Align Faces tool will rotate a selected planar face such that the face normal is exactly the same as the referenced face. The Align Faces tool is associative, moving one part will move the other to maintain the aligned faces.

Insert Face
The Insert Face tool will move and align cylindrical faces. Typically this is used to insert a bolt type shapes into a hole type shape. The Insert Face tool is associative, moving the hole shape will automatically update and move and align the inserted face.

I can't seem to make these work. Are these tools similar to the mating tools which are use for assembly in Solidworks, or do they do something else?

All answers welcome. (especially .mov files! ;) )

Tom
Andusan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 4:20:02 AM(UTC)
Andusan

mmm..i like these .mov files toooooo!!!
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 6:54:31 AM(UTC)
ttrw

I'd quite happily post a mov file or five if I knew more about these tools.

I'm trying to mock up a simulated door in a frame, and want to be able to add a swing function for the hinge part of the door. If models exported from VC/ Shark are to used in architectural visualisation (or any type of Virtual Reality visualisation- like getting a shaft to rotate on instruction), then it is vital that the software allows for this- or at least for it to be exported to an external application like Adobe/ Macromedia Director or Unity3D, and for these applications to use the instructions included in the Model.

I know that Shark has animation, and that VC doesn't, but both do have these mating features.

I'm hoping that if we're really nice to Tim, Nick or Jol, they may knock up a quick demonstration? However, I don't want to be too pushy :)
nick  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:15:21 PM(UTC)
nick

Hello All

Here you go...

http://www.cadsoftsolutions.co....s/connect_mate_align.mov

All the best
Nick
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:52:56 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Well I'll be damned!! :cool:

I most definitely WON'T be upgrading that student Solidworks seat now!! LOL!

I'm blown away by this amazing software- and now that Shark FX has got a strong beta testing team, Shark/ Via CAD is just going to get better and better IMVHO. The fact that Shark FX is optimised for Mac OS X Leopard is simply the icing on the cake.

Thanks Nick for uploading this excellent tutorial, and of course, extra special thanks to you Tim for keeping this software happening during times when I thought all 3D design softaware was moving to the dark side! :D

Tom
Andusan  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2008 4:35:39 PM(UTC)
Andusan

Thanks Nick !