logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:13:27 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thought you guys would be interested in this;

http://www.graebert.com/#18

Apparently it's ACIS based too. Should give Autodesk another run for their money!! :D:D
misterrogers  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 7:33:40 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

thanks for the link. never heard of this before. worth looking into.
zumer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:14:49 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Another AutoCAD clone, except it also runs on Mac. Is there anyone who LOVES AutoCAD and who'd choose to use it ahead of anything else if there wasn't commercial pressure for historical reasons? Sure, it's well-developed and solid, but I'm sure that corporations have the sort of mindset that you just can't walk away from a seat that cost thousands of dollars. To me, using AC is like brushing my teeth. It's something that I've got to do regularly, but there's no enjoyment in it.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:28:07 AM(UTC)
ttrw

You're right Murray. I really loathe AC too, but out here, people just except AC as the standard, and if you don't have it, you have no work. It's that simple. If this is exciting in any way, it's because here is a AC clone that will work on a Mac.

There are also a lot of people out there (and on this forum too), who just can't get their heads round the fact that us Mac users won't switch to Windows even if we are being stunned on the testicles with a 20,000v 10a cattle prod. Most Windows users don't understand this stubbornness as a Mac user, because they have never used a Mac in their lives, ever. (The ignorance of why people wont change from Windows, is well documented in many places, on other forums throughout the web). Even on this forum, quite recently someone said that Mac's can't count higher than 9999!!!! There's other nonsense like they only use 1 button mice (rubbish!), another one I heard recently, is that Mac's don't multitask! :confused:

FWIW, Engineered Software make a fabulous AC alternative called PC8, which works nothing like AC, and is fun to draw with. But it's Mac only, and despite PC8 having excellent DWG/DXF translators, because it's on a Mac, pretty much no one has ever heard of it. That's a terrible shame I think.

Ironically AC used to run on the Mac. And yes, AC sucks, but this AC clone costs $500- half price of LT.
blowlamp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:49:26 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
You're right Murray. I really loathe AC too, but out here, people just except AC as the standard, and if you don't have it, you have no work. It's that simple. If this is exciting in any way, it's because here is a AC clone that will work on a Mac.

There are also a lot of people out there (and on this forum too), who just can't get their heads round the fact that us Mac users won't switch to Windows even if we are being stunned on the testicles with a 20,000v 10a cattle prod. Most Windows users don't understand this stubbornness as a Mac user, because they have never used a Mac in their lives, ever. (The ignorance of why people wont change from Windows, is well documented in many places, on other forums throughout the web). Even on this forum, quite recently someone said that Mac's can't count higher than 9999!!!! There's other nonsense like they only use 1 button mice (rubbish!), another one I heard recently, is that Mac's don't multitask! :confused:

FWIW, Engineered Software make a fabulous AC alternative called PC8, which works nothing like AC, and is fun to draw with. But it's Mac only, and despite PC8 having excellent DWG/DXF translators, because it's on a Mac, pretty much no one has ever heard of it. That's a terrible shame I think.

Ironically AC used to run on the Mac. And yes, AC sucks, but this AC clone costs $500- half price of LT.

Well Tom, the counting to 9999 comment was mine and it was meant to be a joke, because I know they can only count up to 9998 :D
The rest of what you say sounds like a rerun of the VHS vs Betamax saga.
I don't know what car you own, but even if you're happy with it, you should sell it and get the same make and model as the one I've got :D.

Martin.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:54:42 AM(UTC)
ttrw

LOL!

I've got an old Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7TD - the one with the excellent Isuzu engine. L-Reg, 190,000 miles on the clock, still going strong!! :D
blowlamp  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 1, 2010 5:39:15 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Tom.
When the old cavalier finally gives up the ghost and you're on the lookout for a quality motor at a reasonable price, you could do no better than to consider a Kia.
We've owned Ford, Nissan, Mercedes, Mitsubishi and Daewoo, but none have been as well put together for the money and none have had a 7 year guarantee like the Kia Cee'd has that we now own. The build quality is the reason for the excellent guarantee and is obvious for those that take the time to look.

Martin.
misterrogers  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 2, 2010 8:05:10 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

There are also a lot of people out there (and on this forum too), who just can't get their heads round the fact that us Mac users won't switch to Windows even if we are being stunned on the testicles with a 20,000v 10a cattle prod.

gee.. i don't know... as a mac user for the last 15 years, with that treatment i think i'd be a little more inclined to check out that windows thing everyone always talks about :)

btw my first mac was a motorola mac clone with an astounding 8mb of ram.
blowlamp  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 3, 2010 4:55:28 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post
**Originally Posted by ttrw
There are also a lot of people out there (and on this forum too), who just can't get their heads round the fact that us Mac users won't switch to Windows even if we are being stunned on the testicles with a 20,000v 10a cattle prod.**

gee.. i don't know... as a mac user for the last 15 years, with that treatment i think i'd be a little more inclined to check out that windows thing everyone always talks about :)

LOL. In life, only some things are worth fighting for, but I do love Tom's passion for his Mac. :)

Martin.
ttrw  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 9:37:17 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: misterrogers Go to Quoted Post

Yes. Me too!

And before that, I had an Atari STe with 4mb ram!

(I also had a 486DX PC which ran DOS, but the GUI on the Atari and the Mac was so much more. :) )

Blowlamp wrote:
I do love Tom's passion for his Mac.

:D

I've just bought a new one, a Mac Mini. This Macbook Pro is getting a bit beyond it. It has been used everyday, for the last 4 years :(

Anyway, enough of that. Busy watching the new Dr Who!

Happy Easter everyone!
tmay  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 3:43:39 PM(UTC)
tmay

Yes. Me too!

And before that, I had an Atari STe with 4mb ram!

(I also had a 486DX PC which ran DOS, but the GUI on the Atari and the Mac was so much more. :) )

:D

I've just bought a new one, a Mac Mini. This Macbook Pro is getting a bit beyond it. It has been used everyday, for the last 4 years :(

Anyway, enough of that. Busy watching the new Dr Who!

Happy Easter everyone!

I read that the new Doctor is upstanding, a match for David Tennant. I got into Doctor Who via netflix, saw all of the back seasons, but it will be a while before the current season is available.

the other tom
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:28:32 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I just downloaded the Grabert CAD beta. It's pretty buggy, and has been written in that horrible QT Framework. It's nowhere as brilliant as PowerCADD 8, but it works- just. :)