logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
phunkidude  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:43:44 PM(UTC)
phunkidude

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing ViaCAD as my NURBS modeler. I've never modeled with NURBS before and my app of choice is Modo which is of course Sub-D. I tend to specialize in packaging and modeling hard surfaces like these in Sub-D is an art. An art that I frankly haven't perfected yet so I'm wondering whether NURBS will help me with this.

I'd love to hear views from people who have used VC for packaging. How easy is it to get into? Is there lots of training material? Is the training free?

One thing does concern me however. With the current version, I see no way to get models from VC to Modo. Seems an odd oversight to me.
joev  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:56:10 PM(UTC)
joev

phunkidude wrote:
Hi,
I'm considering purchasing ViaCAD as my NURBS modeler. I've never modeled with NURBS before and my app of choice is Modo which is of course Sub-D. I tend to specialize in packaging and modeling hard surfaces like these in Sub-D is an art. An art that I frankly haven't perfected yet so I'm wondering whether NURBS will help me with this.

I'd love to hear views from people who have used VC for packaging. How easy is it to get into? Is there lots of training material? Is the training free?

One thing does concern me however. With the current version, I see no way to get models from VC to Modo. Seems an odd oversight to me.

At the price of $99 bucks you can't go wrong with VC for your solid modeling. It's much easier to use than most solid modelers and in many ways equally powerful. I use ElectricImage for rendering, one of the reason I went with Concepts 3D was the export to FAC. You can get a file into MODO in a roundabout manner. If you have C4D you can export as VRML to C4D, then out as FBX and into MODO. There is mention of adding OBJ export in the next version.

I use MODO myself for organic stuff, and FormZ for my solid modeling but I now use Concepts 3D (ViaCAD slightly bigger brother) and have not looked back.

And with the money back guarantee, it's a good deal.
nabed  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 2:50:38 AM(UTC)
nabed

>>(note to Tim: FormZ even though it uses the Acis Kernel has a much nicer and finer control over facetting compared to Concepts Unlimited)

Thanks for the heads up.
dexter  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 6:04:43 AM(UTC)
dexter

Blender (www.Blender3D.org) is also a good middleman for translation purposes, especially since it is open source.
jlm  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 9:21:42 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
dexter wrote:
Blender is also a good middleman for translation

Hi Dexter,

I tried Blender, but it looks like a middleman crasher for me.
I tried DXF, SAT, IGS on many files--> I got loads of red errors, and a crash...

How do you use it ?
On a Mac ?
Thanks,
JL
dexter  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 1:40:02 PM(UTC)
dexter

jlm,

Yes, I use it on a Mac. I typically bring in CAD files from VRML (1.0) and export to .3ds for Maxwell Render.

Hope that's helpful...

(17" MacBook Pro, 2.16 Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256MB VidRAM)

EDIT:
Oops! I was thinking in SolidWorks for VRML - it doesn't seem to work well. However, if you export STL in Binary you should be okay for Blender translation...

Sorry for the thread hijack...