logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 4:44:09 PM(UTC)
tmay

This Leopard feature was demoed this morning. It allows for viewing a compatible file without launching the application, which would have great utility for assembling a project for email, as an example. It requires development of a plugin for Quick Look.

It would be a nice feature to quickly view CU files without launching CU. Any Quick Look compatible file is also compatible with iChat.

tom
NickB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:58:31 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My initial thought when I saw this was this looks great.
Then I started thinking realistically and realized that if we are lucky we might see this implemented in 2009 given that I cant remember the CU development team ever acting proactively to implement a new technology before it has been widely available for six months.

Leopard launches in October (probably right at the end of the month like the iPhone). January 2008 a few people start asking for this face to face at Macworld, vague promises are made. The plugin moves to the bottom of the list. January 2009, still no action, but voices are getting louder. May or June we see a plugin (just in time for the release of 10.6).

Sometime last year I asked that CU change a flag that marks its files as documents rather than images.
If CU files were marked as images the preview that is stored with the file would show up in spotlight searches.
[URL="http://csi-concepts.com/conceptsunlimited/viewtopic.php?t=2466"]http://csi-concepts.com/conceptsunlimited/viewtopic.php?t=2466[/URL]

Currently preview images are 128 pixels wide, how hard would it be to increase this 512 or 1024 ? that way they would be a little more usefull.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:38:56 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Good point Nick .. be great to see moving towards the sharp end - but I wont hold my breath !

Supporting Spotlight and QuickLook (and hence the coverflow finder) would be time well spent .. & as you say .. I'm not sure it's all that hard !
NickB  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:06:20 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thinking about this a bit more, I wonder if it will ever be implemented, as it would create an incompatibility with the windooz side. Unless MS do the same thing, we will probably never see a mac implementation.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jlm  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2007 3:37:23 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
NickB wrote:
we will probably never see a mac implementation.

SAD!
I just ordered a new 8 cores Macpro + a 30'' display.
Can't think of using it for Tetris & PacMan only...
JL
Juanxer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:47:26 AM(UTC)
Juanxer

Well: as QuickLook is plug-in based, the Punch!CAD plug-in would be the one telling QuickLook to look for a preview image in the file.

If Apple has done things right, QuickLook plug-ins ought to be the already existing Spotlight ones, perhaps with new capabilities added to the standard ones. Leopard's Spotlight search listings ought to let us (optionally, please) see in miniature the same images QuickLook and Coverflow will show.

It'll have to be stored preview-based, anyway, as one cannot pretend QuickLook to instantly render a ViaCAD scene as it would do a JPEG file.