logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 5:54:10 AM(UTC)
tmay

The following URL has the links to various screenshots, commentaries and videos regarding CS4.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/0...terface-and-screenshots/

I'm looking forward to the consolidated view option, which makes good use of a large and wide screen by having a single application window which facilitates consistent placement of palettes within it while masking out all of the background clutter.

In the working area of the application, I especially like the tabs for the foreground and background windows.

All food for thought for ViaCAD and Shark future versions.

tom
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 6:22:27 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good suggestion Tom. Thanks for the link too! (I have to (must) upgrade from my ancient copy of Photoshop elements 2!!!)

What is nice about this new PS interface is that it is very Mac OS X imo. The older Photoshop interface looked like a hangover from Mac OS 9.x. while the newer PS interface was too unstandardised 'Windows' for me.

This kind of Cocoa interface for Shark would be superb. I suppose the big question would be how simple it would be to update it?
tmay  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 8:14:30 AM(UTC)
tmay

It might be awhile, but I can see browsing a parts library, layers or the feature tree using multitouch in a manner similar to browsing my itunes library on an itouch.

One item that I would like to trial, is a recent tools bar, since I tend to work sequentially, usually a base feature, then sub features, followed by booleans, and features such as fillets and holes. It would be easy to go overboard on this, with recent layers and such, but it might provide a big reduction in mouse clicks.

You and others have noted that there have been a lot of promises regarding CAD on mac, but AFAIK, only Punch!, and Nemetschek (Vectorworks, Archicad) seem to be delivering, and frankly, I give the UI advantage to ViaCAD/Shark (I'm unfamiliar with the Punch's architectural products.
dexter  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 12:21:45 PM(UTC)
dexter

tmay wrote:
One item that I would like to trial, is a recent tools bar, since I tend to work sequentially, usually a base feature, then sub features, followed by booleans, and features such as fillets and holes. It would be easy to go overboard on this, with recent layers and such, but it might provide a big reduction in mouse clicks.

I agree - I think that it would be cool to have a smart toolbar that displays the last X amount of tools that you used, or the ones you mostly use. I know that although I use a lot of the tools in ViaCAD, I generally end up doing some features repetitively, and a smart toolbar would keep those tools at my fingertips.
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 12:41:53 PM(UTC)
ttrw

I also use Logic Audio, now known as Logic Pro. I don't know if it still works as such, but Logic always had the option of being able to call up the most used tools with the right finger button on the mouse (I may be Apple bonkers, but I've never been a big fan of Apple mice!). This placement meant that the tools were always where your mouse pointer was, which also meant far less moving round the screen, so ideas could be 'written down' far more quickly.
Art  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:06:20 PM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
dexter wrote:
I agree - I think that it would be cool to have a smart toolbar that displays the last X amount of tools that you used, or the ones you mostly use. I know that although I use a lot of the tools in ViaCAD, I generally end up doing some features repetitively, and a smart toolbar would keep those tools at my fingertips.

That would be nice. There has been some talk earlier about the order of the functions in each menu. I would like my program to automatically list the item I use most, first and so on. The example given in that discussion was why is "revolve" before "extrude".

I also would like like the windows (like concept explorer) to be able to be locked to the edge and "snapped"open when clicked. I am using a laptop right now (although I am used to 2 monitors) and it could be easier.

Art

Macintel Shark FX 750
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:12:26 PM(UTC)
ttrw

ttrw wrote:

What is nice about this new PS interface is that it is very Mac OS X imo.

I tell you what, I really hope that this new version of PS is better than Director 11, which is possibly the biggest pile of elephant dung on this earth.

I recently reviewed A3D too- and rapidly came to the conclusion that was also c-r-a-p too :mad: :mad: :mad:

What is up with Adobe??? :confused:
jol  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:27:03 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
they've made too much $$ for too long i think

photoshop cs3 is a dinosaur .. sorry i bought it

the resources it uses are chronic .. and I wish they'd get rid of all the fuzzy rubbish that installs with it

sadly they have sod all competition
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:30:42 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Yep. And I can't quite bring myself to using the Gimp either (tried it- did my head in!)

Tim, howabout taking on Photoshop? :eek:
ianjkirby  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:54:08 PM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Art said earlier;
Quote:
I also would like like the windows (like concept explorer) to be able to be locked to the edge and "snapped"open when clicked. I am using a laptop right now (although I am used to 2 monitors) and it could be easier.

Art,
I'm not sure this is what you mean, but on my macbook, with viacadv6, I opened the concept explorer window and positioned it near the rhs of my screen. I then held down the ctrl key, and clicked in the grey title bar of the concepts explorer window. Several options become available to "collapse" the window in different directions. I chose "collapse right" and the window collapses to a thin strip on the rhs of my screen when I move the mouse off the window, but expands fully when I move the mouse back over it, and I can do what I want to do, then when I move the mouse away, the window collapses to a thin strip again. I find it very easy to use, and it doesn't take up much space.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
Art  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 6:51:46 AM(UTC)
Art

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well that is embarrassing. That is great and just what I want. Thanks for pointing that out!

Art
jol  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 6:57:09 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
.. and if you put a short delay on the box opening and closing - it will not flicker on mouseover

(preferences > user interface)
ttrw  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 8:25:24 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Personally I'd like a preference that double clicking on the bar, keeps the window open indefinitely- like as in Mac OS9 windowshade.
ianjkirby  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 8:40:47 AM(UTC)
ianjkirby

Hi Jol,
Thanks for pointing out the delay feature; that is useful too! While trying it out, I also discovered that the title bar of all the floating tool pallettes works the same way, and by turning off the collapse direction arrow, the window/pallette stays on screen, as Tom seems to like.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Ian Kirby
Wollongong Australia
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 9:51:05 AM(UTC)
ttrw

No not quite Ian. I really want them to stay open when I double click on the top bar and vice versa- like 'Windowshade' :D