logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:06:39 PM(UTC)
tmay

Purchased from the iTunes Appstore, downloaded and installed. Tested reading of PDF with an upload of a drawing. Works as advertised, though your device has to be synced at your computer. Doesn't yet support landscape mode, and supports quite a few formats, including iWork and Office in the future.

I haven't tried it with a PDF published with interactive content, so I don't know if that works.

I like it so far, and it seems a good value.

tom
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:24:15 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I gotta get me an iPhone!

I got an iPod Touch- absolutley love it. I think though that the apps have far to go still- I had some really cool stuff on my Palm Zire 72 :cool:
tmay  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:50:25 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
I gotta get me an iPhone!

I got an iPod Touch- absolutley love it. I think though that the apps have far to go still- I had some really cool stuff on my Palm Zire 72 :cool:

Did you get the upgrade installed? If so, Crash Bandicoot seems to be the graphics standard for iPhone games. I purchased it, Enigmo, and Cro-Mag rally and they all seem to be pretty first rate. I also loaded iBand from MooCowmusic and a free ebook reader (books cost).

Be advised that Apple only let in a few developers; everything to this point has been at the SDK beta. Friday, they opened up to a heck of a lot more developers.

It would be any easy bet that iPhone has picked up a lot of developers from other platforms, and with that, a lot of app ports are planned. Solidworks supports a crippled system of web conversion that allows drawing files to be uploaded (no models). I would have to believe that there are many other drawing/model readers under development, perhaps including eDrawing support.

the other tom
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:04:59 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Yes I have got v2.0.

So many people I know though, tried to get the update on the 11th and ended up bricking their phones for a couple of hours or so. Some of the comments that came out about Apple- some of them really vicious, when really it wasn't necessarily Apple's fault entirely (well I think so). I really can't believe that people are so impatient either- it's crazy.

Cro-Mag is just super-fun!! I've been playing with that all day. My kids sit in my lap with the headphones on, while I steer!!! I've also got super monkey ball (well of course!?) but I think it's too sensitive on the touch. It's so easy to fall off. :(

I start a new job on Wednesday (full-time and working 9-5). Anything to keep my wife happy for a bit, but it's going to be hard, because I've always been 'my own boss'. :rolleyes: But I will buy an iPhone in the next couple of weeks. The touch is okay, but I think that the iPhone really comes into its own, because the touch misses out on so many of the extra features (mic, loudspeaker, camera, bluetooth, gps, internet anywhere etc etc!)

Tom 2
tmay  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:12:04 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
Yes I have got v2.0.

So many people I know though, tried to get the update on the 11th and ended up bricking their phones for a couple of hours or so. Some of the comments that came out about Apple- some of them really vicious, when really it wasn't necessarily Apple's fault entirely (well I think so). I really can't believe that people are so impatient either- it's crazy.

Cro-Mag is just super-fun!! I've been playing with that all day. My kids sit in my lap with the headphones on, while I steer!!! I've also got super monkey ball (well of course!?) but I think it's too sensitive on the touch. It's so easy to fall off. :(

I start a new job on Wednesday (full-time and working 9-5). Anything to keep my wife happy for a bit, but it's going to be hard, because I've always been 'my own boss'. :rolleyes: But I will buy an iPhone in the next couple of weeks. The touch is okay, but I think that the iPhone really comes into its own, because the touch misses out on so many of the extra features (mic, loudspeaker, camera, bluetooth, gps, internet anywhere etc etc!)

Tom 2

Cro-Mag is a legally sanctioned addictive substance!

The touch misses out on that monthly payment...but, yes, it does also miss some cool features.

I hate to mention this, but I see Palm as toast.

the other tom
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 2:31:52 PM(UTC)
ttrw

tmay wrote:

I hate to mention this, but I see Palm as toast.

Yes, unfortunately me too. But Palm have only got themselves to blame. They could have got around to releasing the new OS, but they dithered for so long, and then stuck that horrible windows based OS on it. Palm OS 5 was so lovely- very Mac OS9 in my opinion.

I think the Palm will live on in secondhand circles, because of one application- which was simply amazing, Bhajisloops. If you were ever into music production, Bhajis was total magic in the palm of your hand. However, I'm really keen to see what iPhone comes up with.

The only thing I don't like about the Appstore is the fact that you can't demo apps first. This is not good, and apple need to look into this one, and quickly too.

Tom, where did you hear about eDrawings on iPhone? Because as my Solidworks licence was about to run out, I got a call from a Solidworks rep who assured me that SW's was coming to Macintosh. Actually I helped Architosh magazine to do a story on this, but SW's then emphatically denied it- don't you just love corporate companies?? :mad:

Solidworks is a good software, it's just a shame that it uses the hard sell to sell it. I much prefer Tim's gentle approach - he's got a fan forever now!! :D
tmay  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2008 3:25:40 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
Yes, unfortunately me too. But Palm have only got themselves to blame. They could have got around to releasing the new OS, but they dithered for so long, and then stuck that horrible windows based OS on it. Palm OS 5 was so lovely- very Mac OS9 in my opinion.

I think the Palm will live on in secondhand circles, because of one application- which was simply amazing, Bhajisloops. If you were ever into music production, Bhajis was total magic in the palm of your hand. However, I'm really keen to see what iPhone comes up with.

The only thing I don't like about the Appstore is the fact that you can't demo apps first. This is not good, and apple need to look into this one, and quickly too.

Tom, where did you hear about eDrawings on iPhone? Because as my Solidworks licence was about to run out, I got a call from a Solidworks rep who assured me that SW's was coming to Macintosh. Actually I helped Architosh magazine to do a story on this, but SW's then emphatically denied it- don't you just love corporate companies?? :mad:

Solidworks is a good software, it's just a shame that it uses the hard sell to sell it. I much prefer Tim's gentle approach - he's got a fan forever now!! :D

You can find it in Solidworks Labs. You have to upload through a website. I don't remember the details. My maintenance ran out in Jan, and I'm not going to update for awhile, or at least until I get my Pro/e maintenance taken care of before it expires. I'm pretty sure that I lost access at any rate.

About a month after I bought Solidworks, I got a call from a woman, one of the developers, about purchasing Solidworks. I told her that I had purchased it the month previous mainly for compatibility with my customers, and that I was using Concepts Unlimited on the mac and Pro/e on the PC for my modeling. She asked if I had any questions, and a little while later I got another call from one of/the Vice President of Software Development. He mentioned that he had come over from PTC (Ex-PTC begat Solidworks) a couple of years earlier, and said he would be happy to answer any questions about Pro/e as well. I said no, but that I had a request to be able to convert splines to arcs for use with older CNC equipment. He said that there wasn't a plan for that in Solidworks, but that I should keep my eye out in the not to distant future for a module that would be useful for importing artwork and such. I then mentioned that I was a long term user of the mac, from the 128, and that I would be in favor of a full mac version. He said that I shouldn't give up hope. (I may have mentioned this story earlier here somewhere).

My opinion is that Solidworks, the company, isn't yet committed to the mac. A second opinion is that Snow Leopard could set the performance bar so high that PC apps would pale by comparison (good for VC and Shark, Vectorworks, and NX if it is really going to be native OSX on the mac).

the other tom