logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmay  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:52:51 PM(UTC)
tmay

http://arstechnica.com/apple/re...009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars

Excellent, and long, article on what is under the hood of Snow Leopard. I found the sections about Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL really cleared up a lot of misconceptions for me.

the other tom
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:53:38 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
tom, shouldn't the title be 10.6 and not 10.7? :eek:
ALBANO  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:01:33 PM(UTC)
ALBANO

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
http://arstechnica.com/apple/re...009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars

Excellent, and long, article on what is under the hood of Snow Leopard. I found the sections about Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL really cleared up a lot of misconceptions for me.

the other tom

Yes read it also. All sounds really nice. But any chance we will see all these nice features used by the Spatial guys to speed up the kernel????!!!!

:confused:
tmay  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:28:48 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
tom, shouldn't the title be 10.6 and not 10.7? :eek:

I am a lousy proofreader.

I'm running OSX 10.6 as we speak, waiting for a Shark build, thank you.

the other tom
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:19:15 PM(UTC)
ttrw

lets hope that Tim strips out all the old PPC binary too :D
NickB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:45:41 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think it will be quite a while before we see any of 10.6's multiprocessing, 64 bit support and Open CL being taken advantage of by Spatial. From what Tim told me back in January at MacWorld it sounds like they are pushing out multi-threading and 64 bit first on the Windows version. I would guess that they will only implement Open CL if it catches on on the windows side which means we are probably looking at at least a couple of years and are at Nvidia and ATI's mercy as to how hard they push it.

I am thinking that my next machine (probably a Hackintosh) will have a fast SSD in place of a mechanical hard drive, as I think that might improve performance of large files that take forever to open and save more than anything else. It would be interesting to see some benchmarks for opening and saving a 300+MB file on a system with different speed drives to see whether it really does make a difference.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:29:16 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
lets hope that Tim strips out all the old PPC binary too :D

The next version of Shark FX V6 is Intel only. Spatial no longer supports PPC libraries.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 8:35:11 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>> like they are pushing out multi-threading and
>>64 bit first on the Windows version.

The first ACIS release to have multi-threading enabled is ACIS R20 SP1 which is due 18th Sept. This will PC only. Note "enabled". Developers will then need to add threading to specific tasks. I'm hoping they will thread certain areas on behalf of the developers.

They have not provided details when this will be available on Mac. When I talked to the threading developer, he did not see any issues with Mac because of its unix core but it still had to go through their release/test process.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
NickB  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 9:38:56 PM(UTC)
NickB

Tim,
So does that mean that ACIS R20 SP1 could be included in Shark V6 and that latter versions say SP1 / 2 / 3 might be multithreaded on the Mac as well as 64 bit so we could have both bigger files and faster processsing ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:06:20 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>So does that mean that ACIS R20 SP1 could be included in Shark V6

We are going to look into getting it into V6. I'm pretty excited about SP1. Currently we are at ACIS R20 SP0. But Depends on how stable it is and how it handles our regression cases. In addition to threading it is supposed to fix some issues with the new Inventor translator in Shark FX V6. My enhancement request into Spatial is that they start adding "thread hot" api's for critical areas such as faceting so that it is easy to take advantage of threading in ACIS.

>>and that latter versions say SP1 / 2 / 3 might be
>>multithreaded on the Mac

I could not get the developer to make any comments but continue to push this with Spatial.

>>as well as 64 bit so we could have both bigger files and faster

This is probably a bigger all around impact then threading. I've told Spatial our preference is to drop 32 bit libs for Mac and only distribute 64.

For PC users, we are looking into a 64 bit version for PC and working on Windows 7 certification. The 64 bit version will probably be limited to Shark FX.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
NickB  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:51:34 AM(UTC)
NickB

Tim,
That all sounds like really good news.

Could you see releasing a service pack to Shark V6 Mac that went 64 bit in the next year or so, or would we realisticly be looking at V7 for marketing reasons ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
tmay  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:21:55 AM(UTC)
tmay

Tim,

Autodesk is providing product support for Windows only products running under Bootcamp on Apple hardware (and possibly Vmware Fusion or Parallels), and there has been a very positive response from its Apple user base.

Providing a similar level of support for Shark on Apple hardware would go along way towards bridging the gap until 64 bit/multithreaded support for Shark under OSX is available. I'm of the opinion that you would only need to provide a minimum of installation support.

tom
ZeroLengthCurve  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 11:30:28 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
>> he did not see any issues with Mac because of its unix core but it still had to go through their release/test process.

Tim

I wish that could help herald the dawn of a native Linux version, but unfortunately, Linux is such a small share of the market, and pretty much has only 2 credible developers who don't force users to go the WINE route. For me, only Punch! ViaCAD and LotusSmartsuite are the final two reasons to keep using windows... I stay away from WINE because it's so fiddly for me (a non-hacker/non-cracker/too exaspirated with my bad experiences with wine...)
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:29:26 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
For me, only Punch! ViaCAD and LotusSmartsuite are the final two reasons to keep using windows... I stay away from WINE because it's so fiddly for me (a non-hacker/non-cracker/too exaspirated with my bad experiences with wine...)

Hey ZLC why don't you switch to a Mac? You could get a hackintosh (or even better, the real thing!). Lotus Symphony is also Mac friendly and is available as a free download. :)
Tim Olson  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:51:42 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Could you see releasing a service pack to Shark V6 Mac that went 64 bit >>in the next year or so,

Yes. That's our plan for PC. First release Shark FX V6, then a service pack which would include a 64 bit version.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:57:42 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post

Providing a similar level of support for Shark on Apple hardware would go along way towards bridging the gap until 64 bit/multithreaded support for Shark under OSX is available. I'm of the opinion that you would only need to provide a minimum of installation support.

tom

Hi Tom

We provide a hybrid(Mac &PC) license for Shark where you can install on both platforms. Tech support does not care if you are running XP or XP on a Mac.

In fact, I have XP and Windows 7 installed on my mac via Fusion which I use to test the Inventor and CATIA V5 translators which are PC only. I also have XP installed on Bootcamp, but I like Fusion because I dont have to reboot if I need to do a quick PC test.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
tmay  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:22:27 PM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tom

We provide a hybrid(Mac &PC) license for Shark where you can install on both platforms. Tech support does not care if you are running XP or XP on a Mac.

In fact, I have XP and Windows 7 installed on my mac via Fusion which I use to test the Inventor and CATIA V5 translators which are PC only. I also have XP installed on Bootcamp, but I like Fusion because I dont have to reboot if I need to do a quick PC test.

Tim

So, to paraphrase, if we use Fusion and Windows 7 to run Shark, should we be pretty troublefree?

tom
NickB  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:30:52 PM(UTC)
NickB

Trouble free, but what is the performance like on large files ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5

matter.cc
ttrw  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:02:51 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Don't forget that the graphics emulator for Fusion is something like a GMA950 or something- basically crap. I've got Fusion, and until my student licence ran out, Solidworks ran just about okay. But assemblies over 3 or 4 parts, blocking would occur- not the same as running bootcamp, but my conclusion is why run Bootcamp at all, as you may as well just get a good windows workstation.

Like Tim says, Fusion is only really good at testing things.... :)
Tim Olson  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:10:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Trouble free, but what is the performance like on large files ?

Running through Fusion can be slow for programs like CAD. The larger the file, the slower. However, it's great if you just want to quickly jump back and forth. Maybe better if you're on a Mac Pro with more processors and memory than the IMac I am using.

Running XP from Bootcamp I have found to be a good user experience.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore