logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sszyszka  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2007 2:00:38 PM(UTC)
sszyszka

Hi,

New user here, just picked up VC two days ago. I am looking to it as an addition to Modo and have been testing going from VC to Modo using DXF. Sadly, many complex objects simply don't export, at all. I get truncated or empty DXF files, and the export dialog seems to close without completing the progress bars.

Simple objects work fine, cubes, spheres, etc. But trying to export the bundled engine model from the "rendering the drawing" tutorial creates a seemingly incomplete 12kb file. I say incomplete because importing into Modo creates a properly named layer, but shows no geometry.

Trying to export the attached test file, which I turned into a mesh object in the hopes that it would be a workaround, also does not work. It instead generates a 0KB file.

I'm running Leopard, wondering if it could have anything to do with it since I can't seem to find any other DXF complaints on the forums?

I use the R12 format to make sure it's a faceted mesh, and I tried playing with the units as well as converting to a mesh before exporting.
File Attachment(s):
export_test.vc3.zip (955kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
sszyszka  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2007 4:38:52 PM(UTC)
sszyszka

Scott Walters wrote:
The file format of dxf/dwg limits the number of faces in a single mesh to 32K.
Your file has 54900 faces in the mesh, that is why it is not being written to the dxf file.

The software does not break up the mesh into smaller chunks, you will
have to do that before exporting.

Sorry, but I've reported this to the OpenDWG guys and their response has
been they will support it when AutoDesk supports it in the DWG/DXF file format.

Scott,

This helps immensely, thank you. I checked and couldn't find this info in the user guide, I apologize if it is listed somewhere and I didn't look hard enough.

I'm glad there is a clear reason for this.
ttrw  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:12:19 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi sszyszka.

This is a common problem with the dxf/dwg format. It's worth reading up on PDM (or Product Data Management), as the more people who are aware of these issues, the more people there are to pressure people like Autodesk, who set these standards.

Tom