logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:36:43 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Perspective view, well, I personaly cannot say it is a perspective view, it is more of a parallel view. But even that aside, it is unworkable for me. Example:-

When in the "Perspective view" I should be able to pick edges to fillet as I do any edge in any type of view, but that is not the case (I have brought this up before), instead, what you see on screen is not the actual geometry. The vid attached shows an example of this. I have attempted to fillet a back edge, but it is the faces that are selected, drawing a line on that back edge shows the problem more clearly.

Now, before the usual jump in and state it is my display card,.. dont, because that is nonsense, I run various 3d CAD packages on the same hardware that use opengl with no problem what so ever.

[There is also a serious issue with the ability to move objects around due to the display update, but that can be for another thread]

Vid download link

I suppose 10 years ago this type of display could of been seen as OK, but not now.
la mouche  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:35:46 AM(UTC)
la mouche

Tem  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 1:44:47 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Run away, run away!
Actually, Perspective view can work OK, it just needs some fiddling. Although, there are times when things don't seem to intersect or line-up, at least in my experience.
Also, I use some other CAD programs that cost a lot more, and, well, they sometimes have issues too. Its hard to say what/who is to blame. it is amazing that computers do what they do as often as they do, doody-doo!. K, its late and good night!
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 3:06:24 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hmm- interesting, because I'm using Google SketchUp 7.1 at the moment, and SketchUp's Parralel projection option is also behaving really badly!

If I only had the cash, I'd use SFX! :(
jol  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 4:29:12 AM(UTC)
jol

Perspective needs love !
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 6:59:29 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Let's get love into perspective? :D
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 10:55:17 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
If I only had the cash, I'd use SFX!

With the updated rendering in SFX, it will be interesting to see if the perspective view as improved. There is little point in having good image output if the actual perspective is incorrect.

tem wrote:
Run away, run away!
What is that supposed to mean?

tem wrote:
Actually, Perspective view can work OK, it just needs some fiddling.
A user should not need to fiddle around simply to get a working perspective view. In the user manual, the perspective view is a toggle option, there is nothing stating that you select the perspective view then need to "fiddle" to get it correct.

jol wrote:
Perspective needs love !
That as been implied in posts on this forum since I joined.
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 12:41:32 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
With the updated rendering in SFX, it will be interesting to see if the perspective view as improved. There is little point in having good image output if the actual perspective is incorrect.

That is quite true!

But using SketchUp has left me most frustrated. It's one of those programs that you know could have been brilliant, if it hadn't been bought by a company like Goggle...oops Google :mad::rolleyes:

Love ;)

Tom :cool:
Darren  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2010 6:58:18 PM(UTC)
Darren

Man
United States

Hi everybody,
My advice for the prespective is to jack up the focal length in view properties.
I was working on a 28' X 20' building and getting very bad perspective results, the focal length did the trick when I set it to 1200. After the FL is reset in a couple of views it handles the models much better in perspective. Most likely, the bigger the object, the higher the setting.

1) Set up the angle you want to view your model from.
2) Hit the Perspective view button.
3) Go to View Properties to adjust the Focal Length.

Darren
ViaCAD 2D/3D