logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:14:34 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I know I keep going on about splines, but as these are the basis for most constructions I would really like to see the current problems associated with these resolved.

First of all I understand that an Interpolate spline will be converted to control splines, I know that gives some users problems, but it is an action taken by other CAD system I use and is usually made directly after construction.
What I cannot understand:-
That after the change to control point, the spline is converted yet again to Interpolate when actions such as split are made. This does in VC cause problems with loss of endpoint continuity that was originally in place.

So to the question.

Tim, please could you explain what is happening here. I cannot understand this conversion to Interpolate from control, and it is causing problems as mentioned above. I was under the impression that control point splines where easier to rebuild/control.

Regards,

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:33:30 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>First of all I understand that an Interpolate spline will be converted to >>control splines, I know that gives some users problems, but it is an >>action taken by other CAD system I use and is usually made directly >>after construction.

Steve,

Our interpolate spline will stay as an interpolate until you perform a relimit type operation on the curve such as trim/break/corner/chamfer. In that case it will be converted to a control polygon spline (ACIS always creates a control point spline as a result these operations and does not have a utility to convert a given control point back to interpolate). You can modify point, add/remove and it stays as an interpolate. An interpolate and control point spline have the same underlying NURB definition, just different way for the user to interface to the curve.

>>That after the change to control point, the spline is converted yet again >>to Interpolate when actions such as split are made. This does in VC cause >>problems with loss of endpoint continuity that was originally in place.

Would you have a specific example/file I could look at? That sounds like an error on my part and not ACIS.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore