logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:02:23 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tim,

Attempting to trim a solid with lines in a group will not allow direction change. The trim is made on one side only. Not sure if groups are allowed for this tool, but the trim is made, so would of thought a direction change would be allowed.

I have attached a simple example to check (the actual model I am building is too big to upload)

The file is from 2d/3d build 833

- Steve
File Attachment(s):
trim solid with grouplines.vc3 (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
unique  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 12:11:22 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tim,

Attempting to trim a solid with lines in a group will not allow direction change. The trim is made on one side only. Not sure if groups are allowed for this tool, but the trim is made, so would of thought a direction change would be allowed.

I have attached a simple example to check (the actual model I am building is too big to upload)

The file is from 2d/3d build 833

- Steve

Steve,

I wish this software would behave like Rhino sometimes!! :( boy it would be a winner!

Your way around this is to "Join" them first rather than Group, then it seems to work ok. I know why you used group because this works in other instances...there is no simple & consistent way of doing anything from a modeling perspective...much the same as all the Sh1t we are having with curves...keep it simple I say:cool:

--

On another matter this has exposed something wierd (835) see avi attached the graphics are playing up and change on their own when ungrouping your curves....switches the transparency off on the solid:D:D
File Attachment(s):
trim-ph.vcp (18kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
TrimSolid.zip (625kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 12:47:57 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Paul,

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Your way around this is to "Join" them first rather than Group,

I now always try and avoid joining lines/curves. it can bring its own problems. :rolleyes: :D

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:46:03 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Thanks Steve, that is a bug. Its not flipping the normals after you select the group and before you select the solid. Will look into a fix.

Until then, select the group/select the solid then use the option/control key to flip the results as in movie below.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/TrimGroup.mov

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:52:11 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>I now always try and avoid joining lines/curves.
>>it can bring its own problems.

I'm not aware of any problems with joining curves so if you have an example I'd love to see it.

Except in the case of joining two lines (which gives you a polyline), joining two curves will make them one G2 continuous spline. If your curves are not tangent at the join, you may get a bunch of points near the join.

If you want to treat two curves as one, but don't want to change the tangency at the join, use group.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:59:26 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
>>>> I now always try and avoid joining lines/curves. it can bring its own problems.

Tim

Any chance to get that join --->"composite curve" option in v6 to be able to join geometry into one entity without modifying curve continuity allowing the composite to be exploded back to original components instead of using groups? or the current join tool? This would be valuable for many things.

Thanks

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:16:18 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
If you want to treat two curves as one, but don't want to change the tangency at the join, use group.

Tim

I did use group and that is what causes the problem as put forward in the first post on thread I made.

While we are on curves, when will it be possible to split a closed curve without its endpoints losing original tangency/curvature?

- Steve
unique  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:13:37 PM(UTC)
unique

>>I now always try and avoid joining lines/curves.
>>it can bring its own problems.

I'm not aware of any problems with joining curves so if you have an example I'd love to see it.

Except in the case of joining two lines (which gives you a polyline), joining two curves will make them one G2 continuous spline. If your curves are not tangent at the join, you may get a bunch of points near the join.

Tim

Hi Tim,

You might want to look at the difference with join/group on this occasion. I saw in your clip the option of flipping the normal to trim the solid, if you join the curves it is possible to show this flipping before picking finally the solid whereas this is not possible with a group. IMO it should be obvious which one before picking the solid:)

Have you seen the wierd happenings to the graphics as Ive posted above?
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:38:14 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Hi Tim,

You might want to look at the difference with join/group on this occasion.

Hi Paul,

Well, as my first post was in respect of the trimming with a group, and Tim as just ignored the post/problem, then this bug will just have to be added to the ever growing list of bugs not to be fixed.

I think it will be better for me to stop reporting bugs, well, unless they are possibly something very simple to fix, as it is getting too annoying having reports ignored and no fixes ever appearing.

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 11:06:22 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>> reports ignored and no fixes ever appearing.

Steve,

Your feedback IS appreciated. I enjoy working with folks as passionate about CAD as myself which is one of the reasons why I participate in this user forum. After 26 years in CAD development I'm still addicted to all the challenges it presents.

If you don't get a response to a post, try reposting in a new thread, re-clarify, or adding an example file. If still no response, send the issue to [email protected].

Our tech support group (not me but a different group at Punch) is our official/dedicated support channel to our users for our CAD products. Bugs sent to techsupport will get validated and once validated entered into our bug tracking system.

FYI, I did fix the flipping the direction of groups last night after you reported it...many thanks for that heads up. One of the things I like about the user forum is it does gives me a heads up on issues.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 11:08:43 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>On another matter this has exposed something wierd (835) see avi attached

Paul,

I see that now..thanks for the avi. I love those avi's as they pretty much explain it all. Not sure what's causing it, will need to debug further.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 6:51:24 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Tim,

Your feedback IS appreciated. I enjoy working with folks as passionate about CAD as myself which is one of the reasons why I participate in this user forum. After 26 years in CAD development I'm still addicted to all the challenges it presents.
I am only an end user. but have been using CAD about the same length of time (since Autocad V2). I do enjoy using CAD/building 3d models, as it is not only the main part of my employment/work, but also an Hobby I spend a lot of time with.

If you don't get a response to a post, try reposting in a new thread, re-clarify, or adding an example file. If still no response, send the issue to [email protected].
I have, and also others made more than one report concerning the same problem/bug. However, I will follow this path you put forward to see if issues are resolved.

Our tech support group (not me but a different group at Punch) is our official/dedicated support channel to our users for our CAD products. Bugs sent to techsupport will get validated and once validated entered into our bug tracking system.
That in itself does not mean a fix will be made. I was under the belief that reporting bug to forum was sufficient, but will now make reports again to forum, then will forward them to support.

FYI, I did fix the flipping the direction of groups last night after you reported it...many thanks for that heads up.
OK, Thank you.

- Steve