logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 12:00:59 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Attached pic shows a surface split to curve. I would expect the surface to be split from a projection of the curve from the view, but the result is not expected/ wanted or should be made.
File Attachment(s):
SPLIT.vcp (12kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
split.jpg (32kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
nick  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 1:57:55 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Steve

You need to project curve to surface first and then split. Agreed would be nice if this was done for you rather than additional step.

All the best
Nick
nick attached the following image(s):
Shark FX002.jpg (81kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 2:23:35 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hello Nick,

So its a bug because it should not split the surface at all?

- Steve
nick  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 3:57:58 AM(UTC)
nick

Hello Steve

Unless documentation just hasn't been updated then Split Surface command should be used with either another surface or curve on surface to split.

So either way it's a bug because documentation hasn't been updated and tool should be able to split surface using projected curve or it should just report that curve is not on surface to be split rather than attempting and failing.

My original reply was just a how to that works, still needs development to correct one way or the other.

All the best
Nick
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 4:16:05 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Nick,

Originally Posted by: nick Go to Quoted Post
............then Split Surface command should be used with either another surface or curve on surface to split.
or solids.

- Steve
unique  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:36:32 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Attached pic shows a surface split to curve. I would expect the surface to be split from a projection of the curve from the view, but the result is not expected/ wanted or should be made.

Hi Steve,

Totally agree with you, this should work in a viewport normal to the curves you have drawn. It simply doesnt work as exepected unless you project curve to surface :(......Needs Fixin' IMO
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:21:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Quote:
I would expect the surface to be split from a projection of the curve from the view, but the result is not expected/ wanted or should be made.

Steve,

The split tool is independent of view orientation and expects the curve to lie on the surface. If it does not lie on the surface it does a minimum distance projection.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
unique  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:46:52 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Steve,

The split tool is independent of view orientation and expects the curve to lie on the surface. If it does not lie on the surface it does a minimum distance projection.

Tim

Hiya Tim,

Thanks but what good is a "minimum distance" projection to anyone?. I think the tool should check if the curve is associative to the surface by projection and if not produce an error warning, this would avoid this confusion??

I believe it would be much better tho if you could implement the split&trim commands to work per viewport, this should be a simple job for a man of your calibre;)
Tim Olson  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:08:23 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>what good is a "minimum distance" projection to anyone?.

The tool was designed to work with curves on a surface. Typically using a curve from a projection or intersection. Sometimes designers would sketch a curve where because of ACIS tolerances, the curve could be off small amounts. So we would internally project by minimum distance to get it to lie precisely on the surface. I choose minimum distance because it needs to regenerate independent of view. Unlike the trim solid tool, it does not store the projection vector info to regenerate.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:21:14 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Steve,

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Maybe such info should be included in the user manual?

I see options in other systems to project to closest point, but that is an option not a default action.

- Steve
ZeroLengthCurve  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:23:23 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I keep getting the feeling that someone needs to trump ACIS and make it less exacting, or make it more forgiving so ViaCAD takes fewer barbs for things not VC's fault. If indeed ACIS is this rigrous, the ACIS devs need to change the market's expectation, and probably need to explicitly offer in the tool/codebase a means for end users to dial down the rigors so at least a drawing could be done without making end users have to get creative and agitated.
Steve.M  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:09:17 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
I keep getting the feeling that someone needs to trump ACIS and make it less exacting, or make it more forgiving so ViaCAD takes fewer barbs for things not VC's fault.

There is no mention from Tim that this is an implementation from Acis, unless I missed something? In fact Tim specifically put forward;-
Quote:
I choose minimum distance because it needs to regenerate independent of view

- Steve