logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:11:17 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,
pic01
just 2 squares, one rotated 45deg, they are parallel

pic02
shows the skin surface. i was expecting only 4 surfaces/edges connecting the 2 profiles, but instead got 5. I have drawn a line showing where I expected an edge, but there is actually 2

- Steve
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
01.jpg (20kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
02.jpg (16kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
unique  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:28:03 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
pic01
just 2 squares, one rotated 45deg, they are parallel

pic02
shows the skin surface. i was expecting only 4 surfaces/edges connecting the 2 profiles, but instead got 5. I have drawn a line showing where I expected an edge, but there is actually 2

- Steve

Hi Steve,

I see that too. Im sure you already know mate but out of the same palette use the ruled surface combined with cover surface combined with stitch...now thats some frickin un-necessary workyround :D (face for Jol)

This is what happens when the curves are NOT aligned ie) the start curve of the upper is at the midpoint of a span and the lower when the start point is at the corner ?? There is no facility to adjust the curve seams hence the problem you face :D (Please dont accuse me of smiling in real life)
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:41:42 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Paul,

There are workarounds yes, and sometimes it is actually a bit of fun to find them (ok, strange sense of humor :D), but curious about this outcome.
I will say that some outcomes from some functions in VC, I would find virtually impossible to produce in other apps, as they are not wanted/expected, but then, maybe just due to what I am used to with the Cad/cam I have used for a few years

- Steve
unique  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:49:28 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

There are workarounds yes, and sometimes it is actually a bit of fun to find them (ok, strange sense of humor :D), but curious about this outcome.
I will say that some outcomes from some functions in VC, I would find virtually impossible to produce in other apps, as they are not wanted/expected, but then, maybe just due to what I am used to with the Cad/cam I have used for a few years

- Steve

....well there must be something about this program which keeps draggin us back mate.....thats rights it's called potential !

Your issue is related to the curve seams not being aligned...try it in Rhino and see for yourself....it does exactly the same thing UNTIL you adjust the seams to suit....this adjustment must be built into VC too - Sorry Tim ??
Steve.M  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:23:02 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi paul,

Well you already know my main app is Rhino, this I have used since beta V1. On its V4 i is still crap (sorry for lack of a better word) for such as fillets/shelling. I do get sick of cleaning of unresolved intersecting surface on fillets. I did think VC would give me what I need for solids, but the more I look.test,.. then maybe I should lower my expectations.

Anyway,.. time will tell
Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:08:39 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Steve

Try turning off "Minimize Twist" in the Options dialog box or after the fact in the Object Info the Skin Solid.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:07:29 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Tim,

Thanks, it does stop the extra face/edge but it makes the skin/edges go in the opposite direction which is not wanted.

I meant to ask, is there any way to edit the construction seam (or path) of the skin?

- Steve