logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 9:13:19 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tim.

Could we please have a thread for tracking known bugs/ issues.

- Steve
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 11:49:17 AM(UTC)
jol

good luck with that Steve !
NickB  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 2:49:49 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nexy someone will suggest a Wiki, or using buzilla. These newbies . . . .
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 3:54:07 AM(UTC)
jol

Wiki by tool (1. use of / 2. problems with / 3. suggestions for) would be an excellent resource indeed

So - who has the energy to get this kicked off ?
nabed  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 6:43:04 AM(UTC)
nabed

Yeah I know it's hopeless, but I just want to chime in:

Public accessible bugtracking (at least for registerred users) -> desperately needed!
unique  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 4:25:20 PM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Nexy someone will suggest a Wiki, or using buzilla. These newbies . . . .

Careful old boy one could take that the wrong way !
NickB  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2008 5:12:04 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Paul,
No harm meant.

Its just that Jol and I have asked for this for years. Year after year, the same little bugs and UI quirks come up, and few ever get addressed. I am sure that a decent tracking system would help, but the powers that be don't appear to want that sort of thing.

Personally after many years of bug reporting, beta testing and UI suggestions I have become incredibly cynical and have given up hope that things will improve substantially any time in the foreseeable future. Thats why I have given up testing betas. Too much work, for not enough return.

That said, I am looking forward to the release of ASICS 19, multithreading, and better blending.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:56:33 AM(UTC)
jol

I just took an hour to write a huge, deeply thoughtful response .. but this TW@T of a forum dumped out and lost my message when I submitted it

Tim, please check your settings

.. If I don't log out .. I don't expect to be logged out automatically in 10 minutes !!!!!
jol  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:22:30 AM(UTC)
jol

To my point ... and now that I'm angry about losing my message, I make no excuses for being blunt !

I appreciate all the work that's gone on .. and Tim has been amazing with his fireman's hose

Tim is indeed brilliant

As alluded to though, there is something WRONG !

(If we take a quick look around the living room, we may just find a large grey thing with wrinkles)

I'm glad we have all this fresh blood on the forum since VC came about - it's certainly been a breath of fresh air .. and it's allowed a few of us (now somewhat cynical) old timers to step back a bit

I think in particular, it's helping to address another long term problem we've had .. CONSISTENCY

More importantly perhaps, I theorise that this program covers way TOO MUCH GROUND to be improved and maintained by such a SMALL team.

As far as I'm aware, there is still NOBODY within the organisation that uses VC/SHARK as their design tool - I think this is a problem

There are FUNDAMENTALS which were wrong in 2000 and they're still wrong today. Both Perspective and Feature Tree for example DON'T WORK on various levels

In NZ, I stopped endorsing it's use for this reason

Key to all this of course ... there has never been any method for effectively dealing with QA in this organisation.

YOU are the QA dept.

I've never felt this was right, but accepted it as the price I've had to pay to get a half decent CAD app on my Mac

I have petitioned the powers that be at Punch!, but never had a satisfactory response. I suggest you do the same if you have concerns

Till this is addressed, it will remain for me the best CAD program that was NEVER finished

end rant
jol  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:23:04 AM(UTC)
jol

oh - and I forgot this ..
jol attached the following image(s):
81958548.rUywd6IH.youanleadahorsetowat.jpg (82kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 3:32:20 AM(UTC)
jol

no need to log out .. I'm sure that will be done automatically ; )
unique  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 4:11:35 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Paul,
No harm meant.

Its just that Jol and I have asked for this for years. Year after year, the same little bugs and UI quirks come up, and few ever get addressed. I am sure that a decent tracking system would help, but the powers that be don't appear to want that sort of thing.

Personally after many years of bug reporting, beta testing and UI suggestions I have become incredibly cynical and have given up hope that things will improve substantially any time in the foreseeable future. Thats why I have given up testing betas. Too much work, for not enough return.

That said, I am looking forward to the release of ASICS 19, multithreading, and better blending.

Hi Nick.

Dont worry - I understand you venting your anger and displeasure!!

There is no denying that VC could be really great, you may have noticed that a few of us have been asking for a bug tracking list and list of fixes with every beta released. This list and your bug reports will hopefully help with how the software is developed...afterall the software should be developed for it's users right ?

Let try some positive vibes now.........:p
bradcan  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 6:57:27 AM(UTC)
bradcan

I vote for bug tracking, the benefits are obvious. It doesn't have to be public, could easily be for registered users only.

I strongly disagree that features are more important than stability and consistency. Time, however, and the market will tell.

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
Let try some positive vibes now.........

Here here.
Gary  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 10:15:39 AM(UTC)
Gary

I agree with the general sentiment of this thread.

Addressing all the long standing weaknesses, inconsistencies and bugs is overdue and would be a valuable endeavor that would bear fruit on many fronts greater adoption by new and evaluating users, increased loyalty by existing users, and a stabler platform for future development.

These pleas from longtime users have been made many times over the years. In essence, we are asking for Shark to separate itself from good software, of which there is plenty. For Shark to become great software and take it to the next level of quality (and perhaps commercial adoption), it will have to address the concerns noted in this thread.

Worth noting, the passionate sentiments expressed here by Joel and others are a clear indication of our excitement for this software and hope for it future.

regards,

Gary

*** Special thanks to Joel for reminding me to cut and paste this Post before hitting "preview post" as I took more than 10 minutes sipping coffee and writing....