logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 1:14:42 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

It did take a while for me to get access to the forum, so my trial periods for Viacad have now just about finished (I think), sorry, but because my HD restores, I re-install Viacad when I want to look/play/try. But anyway, to show support from myself, I have at least purchased the 2d/3d, but, I am more interested in Shark. I have downloaded and made one install of shark (which was removed via image restore), I see that activation is needed, otherwise it is in "demo" mode. Could I ask, is the demo mode just a case of the file save/export is disabled? as I really dont need that to trial the product, or, or there other restrictions/limitations within the "demo" version? (and is there a limit on how long the "demo" of Shark can be evaluated)

Regards,

- Steve
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 2:14:07 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Aren't there two versions of the demo? One that works indefinitely, but never allows you to save, and another that you get a code that allows you to save, albeit for only two weeks. If my memory serves me right. :rolleyes:

PS, interestingly, PTC offer Pro/E at £200 for the full version to all those who don't plan to use the software commercially. Could this kind of licence work with Shark FX too?
unique  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 2:21:44 PM(UTC)
unique

ttrw wrote:

PS, interestingly, PTC offer Pro/E at 200 for the full version to all those who don't plan to use the software commercially. Could this kind of licence work with Shark FX too?

LOL...and I wonder how many people would admitt to that :rolleyes:

--Paul--
tmay  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 2:58:14 PM(UTC)
tmay

unique wrote:

--Paul--

Here's a link. Basically, the Student/Personal versions aren't compatible with the Commercial version, though I doubt that would be much of a limitation for most individuals. That said, it is conceivable that you could export through a neutral format like IGES, but you would lose all of your features/parametrics doing so.

You do get access to Structural and Thermal, so that is worth something.

http://www.comsol.ch/content.ph...7&id=58&anzeige=support&
language=en

tom
ttrw  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:22:19 PM(UTC)
ttrw

unique wrote:

LOL- well exactly!!

But it's a dynamite marketing move imo ;)

The prise though must go to 3D connexion for the commercial and non-commercial space navigators. That is just plain weird imo.
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:25:21 PM(UTC)
ttrw

tmay wrote:
Here's a link. Basically, the Student/Personal versions aren't compatible with the Commercial version, though I doubt that would be much of a limitation for most individuals. That said, it is conceivable that you could export through a neutral format like IGES, but you would lose all of your features/parametrics doing so.

Ah no. That's the student licence. But there is also a 'non-commercial' licence too. I'll dig out the address and post it.
tmay  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:52:02 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:
Ah no. That's the student licence. But there is also a 'non-commercial' licence too. I'll dig out the address and post it.

It's called SE (Student Edition) for Personal Use, it's the same code base as the SE, but it doesn't require an Academic ID to purchase. It is a couple of hundred dollars more expensive. Neither is file compatible with the Commercial Version.

http://www.journeyed.com/itemDetail.asp?ItmNo=30154903N

tom
unique  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 3:58:00 PM(UTC)
unique

ttrw wrote:
LOL- well exactly!!

But it's a dynamite marketing move imo ;)

The prise though must go to 3D connexion for the commercial and non-commercial space navigators. That is just plain weird imo.

Yup, I have one at work...oooopppss I mean home !!

Honest :p

--Paul--
tmay  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2008 5:51:52 PM(UTC)
tmay

ttrw wrote:

Found something that might interest you on PTC Forum.

"The EDU_Convert option is only available as part of the Pro/ENGINEER University Plus Edition. Neither commercial customers nor secondary schools have access to this option.

Our decision for providing it as part of the University Edition is mainly due to these schools working specifically with industry."

If you still have access to the University, and if it has both the University Plus Edition and the EDU_Convert option, then for all practical purposes, SE is fully compatible with the Commercial version, albeit without the convenience.

tom
Steve.M  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:14:12 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Steve.M wrote:
I have at least purchased the 2d/3d,

Curious,
I notice the trial I downloaded is:- ViaCAD2D3DV6Trial786 Yet the full purchased program directly from Viacad website is:- ViaCAD2D3D738COM

Not I hope, a program that requires a downloaded auto installed patch?
Steve.M  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 4:24:20 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Even more curious.

I just started to install the purchased version of Viacad 2D3D and find the download (purchased/ downloaded directly from Viacad website) is actually version 5. Does that mean I need to purchase an upgrade as well :confused:
jdi000  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 7:57:55 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Steve

Your better contact [email protected] Telephone - 1-800-856-9601
Mon. - Fri. (8AM - 5PM CST) you should be able to buy v6 direct, they must have the wrong file downloading. You probably have to wait till Monday to get a hold of someone.

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 8:45:33 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Jason,

I have sent an e-mail to support.

I thought I would install version 5 anyway, but that requires an Authorization code which I do not have, so now I have the trial of version 5 :eek:
ttrw  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:31:50 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve, don't worry too much over this. Tim is very good in supporting us users :D He'll be back pretty soon.
Steve.M  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2008 9:54:54 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

No worry,

I will re-install the V6 trial again :)
Steve.M  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:55:53 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
....don't worry too much over this.
I am starting to wonder!

I had to wait nearly 2 weeks (and 4 e-mails) to get access to the forum, I hope I dont have to wait that long to get what I purchased (not for a download)

I am also curious about the "Authorization code", should that not of been e-mailed to me, or do I need to make further e-mails to get that?

This does not give me good forethought of making purchase of shark lol
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:06:15 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve, have you tried PM'ing Tim directly?
Steve.M  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:12:54 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
Steve, have you tried PM'ing Tim directly?
Yes, first time was 3 days ago.
ttrw  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:31:56 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:
Yes, first time was 3 days ago.

Steve, 3 days ago? Give the poor bloke a chance! ;) Generally most people don't work on weekends- this would probably also include Tim? I presume that you are not in the States?
Steve.M  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:59:16 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
Steve, 3 days ago? Give the poor bloke a chance! ;)
But why should I even need to start making PM`s/e-mails?

ttrw wrote:
Generally most people don't work on weekends- this would probably also include Tim?
Have you never heard of automation, does the process of issuing a license/authorization key need to be done manually?
I have made many purchases of software online, and when that is for a download there is usually an e-mail within a few minutes with a correct download link and license key,.......