logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jol  
#81 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 1:55:37 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
firmly agree with above
Tim Olson  
#82 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 3:16:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>now that Spatial have opened up the ACIS and CATIA kernels for licensing >>maybe you can look at adding some CATIA technology?

Our surface modeling and editing are based on ACIS. It will be interesting to see if Dassault includes their advanced surface modeling api's into the CGM that they then license to third parties. I'm guessing *not* based on past experience since Dassault acquired Spatial.

>>Boundary surface , Fill Surface

Interesting. I thought this was based on the deformations and advanced covering technology they got from the ACIS dlls included with SolidWorks. If you get a chance, could you private email a simple example that I could compare?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mat  
#83 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 3:33:00 PM(UTC)
mat

I had asked Santa to deliver reliable surface continuity modelling , maybe he's just running late.If Tim can get this sorted it would be really good for those of us working with complex surfacing modelling for a living and love many other aspects to Shark Fx. Maybe extra hot chocolates for the elves !!
Tim Olson  
#84 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 4:33:13 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Attached is a QT movie showing some of my test cases with G1 edge matching in ViaCAD Pro v7 960.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/edgeMatch.mov

But I also have a bunch of cases that do not work that I would like to see work.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Kevin Quigley  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:09:03 PM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

Tim, I'll send you a video and samples next week on the fill surface and boundary on cases where you have multiple surface adjacency where the ACIS stuff just doesn't work well. I'm just very busy right now (hence the v late hour!!) with deadlines before the Chinese New Year kicks off.

As I understand it, the SolidWorks fill surface technology is a CATIA technology. My spies at Solidworks World tell me that Spatial are set up to license the CATIA kernel technology now - though you will know better than I do what this entails!

If you could get anything close to the boundary surface and fill in SolidWorks this would be impressive. I'm not saying it is perfect (far far from it), but it does a good job most of the time.

I know a company who use CATIA v5 and we did a comparison between the boundary surface in SolidWorks and the boundary sweep in CATIA to look at deviation from a predefined draft angle. Needless to say CATIA's was spot on, whereas the SolidWorks one did move around a bit (but nothing too drastic).

The Pro/E (or Creo whatever) sweep command is more or less equivalent to the SolidWorks boundary sweep.
Tim Olson  
#86 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:13:41 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Thanks Kevin.

>>My spies at Solidworks World tell me that Spatial are set up to license the >>CATIA kernel technology now -

I understand that in addition to licensing CGM to third party developers, Spatial has been tasked with turning it into a component technology (ie documented APIs). It will be interesting to see what falls in under the "kernel" and what remains proprietary to CATIA (ie higher order blending?).

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Steve.M  
#87 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:06:03 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Tim,

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
But I also have a bunch of cases that do not work that I would like to see work.

Tim

There is also a problem with the loss of position(therefore also tangency/curvature) of the opposite end of the surface that is being matched.

- Steve