logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
romu  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:07:10 AM(UTC)
romu

Hi all,
This is a ViaCAD Pro newbie user. I'm trying to extrude the little rectangle of the give file along the curve by using the "One Rail Sweep Solid" tool and I always get the message: "Gaps detected in profile! Fix the gap and try again".

My question is pretty simple: how can I find the gap? Is there any helper to ease this task?

Thanks.

romuald
File Attachment(s):
gaps.vcp (39kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
zumer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:41:35 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's your choice of tool. For VC/Shark, it's a sweep, not an extrude, maybe you confused them? In VC2D/3D, I'm able to sweep each line and stitch to solid. In the Shark beta, it sweeps fine as solid. It might be how you're selecting the profile?
jdi000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:22:05 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: romu Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
This is a ViaCAD Pro newbie user. I'm trying to extrude the little rectangle of the give file along the curve by using the "One Rail Sweep Solid" tool and I always get the message: "Gaps detected in profile! Fix the gap and try again".

My question is pretty simple: how can I find the gap? Is there any helper to ease this task?

Thanks.

romuald

Hi Romuald

Usually when the error message comes up it also highlights the gaps with a small marker. See attached picture.

I swept your profile with no error, it was a polygon so it was closed already? I had to convert to curves and move one of the end points to generate an error.

Regards

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
gapsdetected.PNG (91kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
romu  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:31:08 AM(UTC)
romu

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
It's your choice of tool. For VC/Shark, it's a sweep, not an extrude, maybe you confused them? In VC2D/3D, I'm able to sweep each line and stitch to solid. In the Shark beta, it sweeps fine as solid. It might be how you're selecting the profile?

That's probably just a point of vocabulary Zumer, my point is : I want to make a 3D volume by modeling the given rectangle along the given curve. And for this, I chose the One Rail Sweep Solid tool which seems to be perfect for my need.
romu  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:38:31 AM(UTC)
romu

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Romuald
I swept your profile with no error, it was a polygon so it was closed already? I had to convert to curves and move one of the end points to generate an error.

Thanks Jason, you did really sweep my rectangle along the curve? So this means I don't use the tool as it should be.

A little help would be appreciated to understand how it works, I did the following actions:
1. Select the rectangle
2. Select the One Rail Sweep Solid tool
3. Select the curve
-> And I get the error, but I think to know why...

If I do differently:
1. Select the One Rail Sweep Solid tool -> The tool helper says "Select closed profile to sweep"
2. So I choose the rectangle, the the tool helper says "Select curve(s) for sweep path"
3. So I choose the curve, so the helper says "Select surface/solid to sweep to" and...
I don't know what to do and select at this step.

Any help? Thanks.
jdi000  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:33:31 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: romu Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Jason, you did really sweep my rectangle along the curve? So this means I don't use the tool as it should be.

A little help would be appreciated to understand how it works, I did the following actions:
1. Select the rectangle
2. Select the One Rail Sweep Solid tool
3. Select the curve
-> And I get the error, but I think to know why...

If I do differently:
1. Select the One Rail Sweep Solid tool -> The tool helper says "Select closed profile to sweep"
2. So I choose the rectangle, the the tool helper says "Select curve(s) for sweep path"
3. So I choose the curve, so the helper says "Select surface/solid to sweep to" and...
I don't know what to do and select at this step.

Any help? Thanks.

HI Romuald

The dialog your are describing is the option in the drop down box at the top "to an object", change the drop down to "curve extents". Try "sweep in place" and "curve extents" as you setting to sweep your profile.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
romu  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
romu

Whaou, it works!

Many thanks Jason, it's a great step for me.