logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roger  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2007 9:50:01 PM(UTC)
Roger

I am trialing CU to and have found that there seem to be any number of ways of tackling a modelling project. Specifically, I am designing injection molded and hand made sunglass frames. The frames are complex 3d shapes with bevels, fillets and or chamfers on curved edges. I can punch out the basic shape of a temple piece in a few minutes but I run into real dramas when I try to add the chamfers. Any clues on the best way to tackle these designs?
I have been using Illustrator CS2 to create the specification sheets (top, side and front views drawn separately). I send these to our manufacturer in China and get back accurate 3d models within a couple of days - I think they use Unigraphics, they can also supply RP samples from their 3d drawings.
Is this sort of design work a CU thing or should I just stick with AI and let the factory sort the rest out? I am sure I would have more control over the design if I could do the 3d here.
nabed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:48:53 AM(UTC)
nabed

It really depends on Your modelling skills and the complexity of the 3D shapes in question.
I think You should just test on an existing projekt:
Just try to model the last pair of sunglasses you submitted to the cinese manufacturer taking Your own 2D drawings as reference.
Don't be satisfied with a model that doesn't live up to Your initial design goal.
Don't accept an "easier" solution, because it took less effort to model.

If You don't have CAD experience this test project will take You much more time than future projects (with more modelling experience)will.

At the end of the day it will all come down to a calculatuion of costs and benefits.
CU potentially will give You full control about the products shape (provided You have the needed Knowledge in modelling, injection moulding, etc) but it comes at the cost that You will be responsible for the whole lot of small design decisions and will have to do a lot of work, that your manufacturer used to do for You.

Just give it a try and see if it fits Your needs.

Ciao, Norbert

P.S.: If the 14 day trial is to short for You, You should contact Tim Olson for an extended trial license.