logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robertbrichter  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 2:07:56 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

I would like to be able to save named states on layers (which layer is on, which one isn't), especially before creating a drawing, and one for each of the drawing that has only the layers associated with that drawing active.

I would also like to see cut-away views allowed, where I can define a plane and a side, and even be able to create geometry off the "new" edges exposed from the cut-away view, and have that geometry still valid when I wish to turn off a cut-away view.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 2:55:44 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I would like to be able to save named states on layers (which layer is on, >>which one isn't), especially before creating a drawing, and one for each >>of the drawing that has only the layers associated with that drawing >>active.

We do support a layer manager which includes support for nested layers. For example if you do a model to sheet, it creates a Sheet Layer that contains a title block, dimension, etc layers. The layer manager is under Window:Concepts Explorer.

>>I would also like to see cut-away views allowed, where I can define a >>plane and a side, and even be able to create geometry off the "new" >>edges exposed from the cut-away view, and have that geometry still >>valid when I wish to turn off a cut-away view.

The model to sheet tool palatte contains tools for auxilliary and section views. Also the new version of ViaCAD V6 has an improved construction line tool for manually generated views.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
robertbrichter  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 4:32:41 PM(UTC)
robertbrichter

I'm not referring to section views in the context of a drawing; instead, I am referring to cut-away views in 3D space that don't affect the geometry of the part, but allow you access into a part (I don't like wire-frame; too many wires to keep track of); I would rather be able to cut-out material blocking what I want to get at.
jdi000  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 7:17:43 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, Robert

Have you tried the transparency of a solid so you can see inside features?
Select an object and right click and activate transparency. You can control the level in the View --> Shade Options and move the slider where you like.

Regards
Jason
Windows 11, 10
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:38:02 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Robert

>>cut-away views in 3D space that don't affect the geometry of the part

You might want to explore making a plane and then right clicking on the plane and setting to Use Clipping Plane. This will clip opengl relative to the plane position and orientation. You can dynamicly move the plane around to slice through the model.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
robertbrichter  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:57:08 AM(UTC)
robertbrichter

Thanks, but how do I choose the side?
jol  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:29:44 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This isn't ideal, but you can move the section dynamically thru' the object (kinda a la SolidWorks) .. by selecting your infinite plane and nudging it - by keeping the up or down key pressed down on your keyboard

(press shift down to times the nudge value by ten)

note: for this to work ... you need to set the prefs>general>arrowkeynudge to a suitable value.

Robert: Edit>changedirection ... flips clipped sides
NickB  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:34:33 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jol,
Thanks. I have been using Cu / Shark longer than I can remember and never knew how to do this before. I guess you learn something (hopefully) everyday.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc